Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a 85 GT. It was silver with black decal on the hood. I loved the fact that I had something different in the fox body. (4 headlights) I put GT-40 cast heads, e303 cam, 3:55 gears, RPM intake, and underdrive pulleys on it and ran 12.63's at the local track. By the way, the 85 fox is starting to increase in value now.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The SVO was pretty wicked looking. I've seen those turned into real monsters. They look like a bit of a sleeper to me, though still enough to make you wonder.

As far as body style, I liked them best when they where "quad-eyes"

·
Registered
821 Posts
'85 GT if you are a carb guy that likes the "4-eyes"
'86 GT if you are an EFI guy that likes the "4-eyes"

'87-'89 if you want no airbag and a tilt column. Like was said, '89 has a 140mph speedo and mass air, but both are easy to add to the earlier cars.

My '87 Saleen is my personal favorite. Always wanted one in high school, and finally bought it a few years back. Now I drive the wheels off of it. Saleen is more than just a set of ground effects and silly graphics package. Had drop springs and Konis at the corners, and the best 4-wheel disc brakes this side of the pizza platter Cobra brakes on the SN95 cars. Flofit seats also.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with just about any Fox body as a daily driver. Cheap, too.

Have fun

·
Registered
111 Posts
The tilt column and neat ratcheting map light make the '89 model Mustang my favorite. I owned a '93 GT and that column with the airbag really turned me off. The wider fenders of the '93 and the cool interior lamp were nice touches, however.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I am partial to my 1990 LX 5.0 coupe and my 89 Saleen Convertible. 89-93 are the best years... I would also go for a 85GT... Last carb...
I like my son's '90 LX 5.0 Notch, standard. Think 90 was start of mass air.
Recent collectable Fox article has the Notch as a little more collectable. These cars are what the police chose to use as pursuit cars. Because they were ~ 200 lbs lighter stock than the more popular GT Fox's.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Mass air started in 88 for California cars and 89 for the rest of the country.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Wow....another ZOMBIE post arises from the dead. Later model Foxes with the fuel injection were a little stronger runners and sleeker looking but I still have fond memories of my 85, last of the carbed Stangs. Loved the T-tops, guess I got lucky, never had leaks from them. Loved blasting the curves through the Kentucky hills on a cold evening, sun going down, T-tops out, leather jacket and heater on, moan of the 4 barrel as I worked the 5 speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
For style, I prefer the 85-86's. Never liked the aero front end. Not crazy about the fuel injection on my '86 LX coupe, but I like everything else about it. And since it's such a low miles example, I'm going to leave it alone. First year of the big axle, too, I think.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I worked at an auto auction in the 80's so I had the pleasure of driving many Ford vehicles.
The one 80's Mustang that left a big impression on me was a silver and black 84 GT convertible.
With the black top down, silver and flat black paint, and the stainless exhaust pipes peeking out of the back, just really made for a nice looking car.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts