Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a **** day, this will make you feel better. Changed the oil for the first time since getting my 69. Was trying to get it done before kids got home from school (age 3 and 5). Went fine. Fired it up, all good. Went to take it for a drive today and lost 1.5-2 quarts on the garage floor. Yup....left the gasket from the old filter on the block. Words can't even describe the mess this made. On top of that, i can't get the new filter free. Got a POS wrench from advanced auto parts that immediately broke when trying to loosen the filter. what a day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you had a **** day, this will make you feel better. Changed the oil for the first time since getting my 69. Was trying to get it done before kids got home from school (age 3 and 5). Went fine. Fired it up, all good. Went to take it for a drive today and lost 1.5-2 quarts on the garage floor. Yup....left the gasket from the old filter on the block. Words can't even describe the mess this made. On top of that, i can't get the new filter free. Got a POS wrench from advanced auto parts that immediately broke when trying to loosen the filter. what a day.
That's a bummer. I am sorry to hear it. You are not the first nor will you be the last. My friend and I were changing the oil on my 69 a couple of years ago. We (me) were talking too much - we forgot to fully tighten the oil filter. Turned on the car and then realized all the oil was draining onto a brand new garage floor. I hope your day gets better and you get the oil filter off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ive had that happen to me too about 20 years ago. Not fun. It almost happened again on the last oil change I made on the mustang but because of my previous experience I always make sure to look. So i had to peel off the old gasket but i do feel your pain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just remembered this one. Last year, while doing another oil change, I unscrewed my oil drain plug too much so that it came apart. Part of it was lost in in my oil pan. I had to borrow a car to go buy another drain plug. On those bad days, just take a look at your kids--hopefully it puts a smile on your face.

·
Registered
105 Posts
About 25 years ago, I got a new-to-me car, so did an oil change. Trouble was that I dumped the oil from the gear box, and then added 5 MORE quarts of oil to the engine.
Started up the engine to let the oil circulate, and then checked the oil level -- it took me several minutes of incomprehension as I tried to figure out why in the world the oil level was so high.

·
Registered
180 Posts
About 25 years ago, I got a new-to-me car, so did an oil change. Trouble was that I dumped the oil from the gear box, and then added 5 MORE quarts of oil to the engine.
Started up the engine to let the oil circulate, and then checked the oil level -- it took me several minutes of incomprehension as I tried to figure out why in the world the oil level was so high.
I did that too. To my kids car. So much for being the auto whiz he used to think I was.

Allen

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's a great day! Just think: you'll NEVER change an oil filter again without double-checking the gasket was removed.

I checked a gasket just yesterday doing an oil change. Just don't ask me why I was so diligent at checking that the filter came off. ;)

Welcome to the club. We have LOTS of members, but all of them have had it happen to them exactly once.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Welcome to the club. We have LOTS of members, but all of them have had it happen to them exactly once.
I have to admit that I've done it twice, about 25 years apart.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Did it once, mid 80's in the parking lot at the dorm. Checked that stupid gasket everytime since. Never had another not come off with the filter.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
In the late 80's I worked with a guy at a chevrolet/buick dealership that lost his job due to a double oil filter gasket. He had changed the oil in an 87 Grand National and for some crazy reason never saw the stream of oil when he pulled the car out of the shop. The owner learned of his mistake when the rods started knocking a few miles down the road.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My old rough carport floor looks like somebody tried to clean up a murder scene with baby wipes because the last time I was pouring my new oil in with one of those new BIGAZZ 5 quart jugs and my funnel split... poured new oil all over the driver side of the engine and into the floor...ran across the floor, under the tire before I could get the oil dry litter around it to contain the spill... looked like the freaking Exxon Valdez ran aground in about the only corner of the world I can be happy alone...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My brother-in-law did that once with the beautiful 1955 Austin Healey 100-4 Lemans I helped him restore. It had the metal canister type with a separate filter element inside. The rubber seal actually sat in a groove in the block, he forgot to pull the old seal out of the groove so it had 2 seals. 2 seals are definitely not better than 1. The car was freshly done and had just had the post break-in oil change. He lived right next to a golf course and I got permission from some guys I knew at the course for him to drive it onto the range to take pics. It puked the oil on the range and there was a racing stripe of dead grass for a couple of months after that.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Many years ago my first wife's Dad came over to the house. After he left I noticed a trail of oil into and out of the driveway and immediately called him. Luckily he lived close by and hadn't driven very far. He was already working on the problem, and yes, the old filter was stuck to the block. He said he noticed a trail of oil on the road and figured some dumb SOB was losing all their oil, then when the trail lead right into his own driveway, he realized who the poor dumb SOB was...ha ha

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well, since its already a mess...forget an oil filter wrench...take a hammer and drive a screwdriver through the oil filter(replace with new oil filter of course) to remove it.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
i have left the old gasket in place once when changing my oil, years ago. i never had any leaks though. i thought that with the few threads holding the filter inplace, should have been a huge red flag even back then, i tightened the filter down hard to make sure there were no leaks.

when i went to remove the filter later, i used a long screwdriver, about two feet long, and punched through both sides of the filter and got the filter turning with that. huge mess to clean up, but it worked.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't know why but the old fords were notorious for this happening. I can't tell you how many people I know have had that happen to them. I wonder if it's just a gasket retention issue in the design of the filter can but that really shouldn't be an issue as that is pretty generic as oil filter companies aren't going to change that design just for some filters.

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
I've been lucky enough to have avoided the dreaded "double gasket" in my lifetime. Drilled into my head in high school shop class (just like SWMBO got me to lower the toilet seat within 30 days of co-habitation) was the practice of wiping the sealing surface on the filter adapter with a clean rag to ensure that no gasket or other foreign material was there to be sandwiched by the new filter. This, along with a coating of fresh motor oil on the new filter gasket and tightening by hand only were also practiced until they became automatic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts