Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Ignition 65 mustang

997 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Aaron65shelby 
#1 ·
So I recently put my engine in my 65 and I’m starting if for the first time, and when I first tried to turn it over with the key, it didn’t work, but then I by passed the relay by jumping over the sides, then it started to crank over. Now when you try to start it with the key, it turns over when you turn it to on. It should turn over when you turn it to start, not on. What’s going on? And if that’s ok for testing purposes then will the starter turn off when it fires/runs? Please help

#9 ·
I mean, the only thing that I think might affect that is that when I wired up the ignition switch, the wire that goes to the switch has a resistor in it or says RESISTOR, I put that wire directly to the switch, instead of connecting it to a wire that goes to the alternator regulator(?). So maybe that could be a problem?

#14 ·
High resistance in the SOLENOID means a bad solenoid. High resistance in the CRANKING CIRCUIT could occur anywhere, even inside the battery. Most typically it occurs at an electrical connection, inside the starter motor or between the starter motor housing and bellhousing ground. Isolating high resistance in a test is done using a VOLTAGE DROP test at component/connection points throughout the circuit. For example, to test the solenoid you'd connect a voltmeter typically using the 20VDC scale, with the BLACK lead on the starter motor connection side of the solenoid and the RED lead on the battery connection side of the solenoid, and engage the starter motor (crank the engine) and note the voltage reading. If you have a shop manual you'll find a reference to acceptable voltage drop for different components. The starter solenoid being, basically, a mechanical switch, should have a very low drop, maybe 0.1-0.2 volt max.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.