Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was right, my door locks and ignition cylinder were on my doorstep when I got home (good ol' Sue @ Mustangs & More in Ventura gets the product out...).
I turned on the radio in the garage and had the doorlocks in by the time Marty Robbins had finished 'El Paso.' Then came the ignition cylinder. Youz guyz wuz right, stick a paper clip in the little pinhole and turn counter clockwise 'til the key is horizontal and pull out the cylinder.
Problem: Several years ago (1976), somebody(s) tried to steal my Mustang and had pushed it about three blocks from my apartment, and tried to jimmy the ignition switch to hotwire it (must have been a real mental midget(s) because I found the car the next day with the doors open in the middle of the street, abandoned and stinking like nervous sweat and rancid carne asada). Unbeknownst to me, during this incident, the spring and piston retainer inside the switch had come loose, and was cockeyed, allowing three micro-miniature springs to partially dislodge and jam the cylinder inside the ignition switch housing. Even so, it worked for 25 years.
So, I decided to remove the dash panel and remove the ignition switch from above, which, of course, turned into a major "while I'm at it..."
This weekend, I get new bezels for all the dash control knobs, "perhaps" a new light switch, or at least a rod, my dash will get painted prior to the chrome spruce up, and I will finally be rid of the last vestiges of the skulking, stinking mope(s) that tried to steal my Mustang (they did steal my 8-track and ransacked my tape console, taking most tapes but leaving "The Best of The Doors" and Cream's "Wheels of Fire" laying on the floorboards, like some kind of demented music critic - tells you something about their homelife...).

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why is it that we can never just replace the one part.
Its always, while I have the battery out let me detail the tray, oh and I should replace the cables, but now I should remove the starter to clean and detail it too, oh what the hell let me do that AOD conversion while the car is in the air
It never ends
Its a sickness you know
and I don't think there is a cure

Greg B

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I wonder if those wiring harnesses could use replacement while I have the dash out... and that firewall insulation is looking a little ratty and I have all this stuff out of the way... and the cowl bottoms are looking a little rusty...
It has to be a disease, Greg, because I was actually dreaming about this stuff last night...

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts