Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting down a rabbit hole for the moment and need some straightening out. I'm trying to figure a direction for ignition for my motor swap. Currently have the 289 with a curved stock 66 distributor with pertronix and vac advance removed.

I'd like to implement vac advance back into the equation for highway efficiency with my motor build I'm doing. Currently have my short block built from an 88 Roller block, 331 stroker, and roller cam.
Should I hunt down a Duraspark distributor and run a MSD box? Or an all in one MSD distributor? MSD to my current distributor (with gear change)?

If hunting a Duraspark, where should I get one from for a roller cam? I found this one from Performance Distributor. But I noticed that Gypsy mentioned that this price was a bit steep.
I feel like there is 8000 ways to do this, and just want a simple direction.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
549 Posts
After running MSD for decades I switched to Duraspark and wish I had done it sooner. Cheap, easy and dependable. I got my distributor from DUI curved to my cam/gear set/application. IMHO unless you are doing high RPMs there's no need for MSD.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After running MSD for decades I switched to Duraspark and wish I had done it sooner. Cheap, easy and dependable. I got my distributor from DUI curved to my cam/gear set/application. IMHO unless you are doing high RPMs there's no need for MSD.
No, no High RPMs. Cruising around town, heading to work, grabbing groceries, being seen. Maybe a few spirited launches on some back streets, but no track time. And no spinning up over 6k.
DUI/ Performance Distributors are the same people aren't they?

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
I’ve run an MSD billet distributor and 6al box for a decade without any troubles, but when the time comes, I’ll be switching to a duraspark and get the vacuum advance back.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Duraspark is a great distributor. I ran one for decades with good success until, ! the core rebuilds were getting worse and 2. started shifting above 7K. There are alot of very good reasons to run one. Replacement parts are still available at most auto parts stores. They are reliable durable and easy to tune or lock down. Honestly, I really can't tell a difference between the Duraspark/Ford module and the MSD setup I have now, other than I needed a MSD cap at the track once and was out of luck. On the other hand, I used to go through a Duraspark about every other year for 1 reason or another. I think there are some companies that have started reproducing them..

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Get a new Spectra Duraspark from Rockauto for a 1985 Mustang 5.0, 5 speed 4V. It's exactly what you want. Mechanical and vacuum advance Duraspark with a Melonized gear for billet roller cams, about $50. I have the same Spectra from AutoZone, I must say it's a very nice distributor. You won't be disappointed.

I'm running a Duraspark on Spectra Duraspark on my GT40P that's in my Mustang. Cheap, easy and works very well. It starts much easier, seems to run smoother over all. Later on if you want you can trigger the MSD with the Duraspark distributor. Same guts as the MSD, that's what they use, Duraspark pick up.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a new Spectra Duraspark from Rockauto for a 1985 Mustang 5.0, 5 speed 4V. It's exactly what you want. Mechanical and vacuum advance Duraspark with a Melonized gear for billet roller cams, about $50. I have the same Spectra from AutoZone, I must say it's a very nice distributor. You won't be disappointed.

I'm running a Duraspark on Spectra Duraspark on my GT40P that's in my Mustang. Cheap, easy and works very well. It starts much easier, seems to run smoother over all. Later on if you want you can trigger the MSD with the Duraspark distributor. Same guts as the MSD, that's what they use, Duraspark pick up.
Why the manual trans vs the auto trans? I'm running an auto for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I got a "new" remanufactured Duraspark distributor from Dan at the Mustang Barn, recurved for $200. I ran for years without a recurved distributor and for a grocery getter/cruiser it was fine.

Reactions: cturboaddict

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should mention. I do have a distributor recurving guy here locally.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My choice is DurasparkII Distributor triggering a Mopar Ignition Box. Dependable. Good to 8,000 rpm. Compact and sealed.
Would that be the same 85 Mustang GT 5.0 w/Manual trans distributor as noted above.
MOPAR???? Now I'm getting way confused. Don't think I've read that one on the net yet.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Why the manual trans vs the auto trans? I'm running an auto for what it's worth.
Auto had fuel injection.

Would that be the same 85 Mustang GT 5.0 w/Manual trans distributor as noted above.
MOPAR???? Now I'm getting way confused. Don't think I've read that one on the net yet.
Electrons don't care who made the ignition box. The Mopar box works very well. I've even run Duraspark cars off a GM HEI module.

That said, I run an MSD 6AL with a D-spark dizzy. Works very well and no issues.

Reactions: cturboaddict

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's the route I'm going to go.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Mat
I should mention. I do have a distributor recurving guy here locally.
Matching the advance curves to the cam and drivetrain are much more important than how the spark is generated. A stone-stock point-gap distributor, carefully tuned, can match an MSD or other system.

This is Dan Gurney's Riverside pole-position Ford 427, capable of 200 mph. Note the completely stock dual-point distributor and coil. So, you have to ask yourself, how fast are you going to Dairy Queen?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts