Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 200ci
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about small ways to deter thieves since older cars seem to be a bit easier to break into. Has anyone played with ignition kill switches or something similar with their cars?

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Nothing stops a tow truck, a 2-foot wire to the coil and jumping the solenoid cranks one, but a manual trans will stump 3/4 of the population and a switch to interrupt the power from the starter side of the solenoid to the starter itself is a plus. I'm a fan of a garage, an insomniac dog and a 12 gauge with double-ought buck for home security.
When away from The Compound, park where you can see it, use the starter interrupt, and consider a GPS with real-time tracking. Doesn't hurt to know a few cops, too.;)

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
It's true. We had a customer with an 80's Mustang GT convertible. It was stolen. Later, Philadelphia PD called to say it had been spotted on such and such street in Philadelphia. The guy was out of town, so his wife hired a flatbed to go get it. Circled the block a few times, found it, and stole it back. The thief had fixed the broken antenna, and even left some stuff in the trunk.

Thieves can take anything. We had a customer who went out one morning in 6" of fresh snow. Turned the key and nothing happened. Called for a jump start, the guy opened the hood, and discovered the transmission was gone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been reading about small ways to deter thieves since older cars seem to be a bit easier to break into. Has anyone played with ignition kill switches or something similar with their cars?
I have a Red Key Switch from Flaming River mounted in an inconspicuous location under my 66. It's connected between the battery negative post and the frame with welding cable. The switch, that has a removable key, is useful when I'm working on wiring and as a theft deterrent. It shuts down the system by interrupting the main ground. I used the negative side of the circuit rather than the positive because I did not want a high amp current running through the switch. The key is removable and I have an extra in case I lose the original. A word to the wise, some positive connected kill switches depend on electrical current to remain open (in the shutdown position) and can drain the battery. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Nothing stops a tow truck, a 2-foot wire to the coil and jumping the solenoid cranks one, but a manual trans will stump 3/4 of the population and a switch to interrupt the power from the starter side of the solenoid to the starter itself is a plus. I'm a fan of a garage, an insomniac dog and a 12 gauge with double-ought buck for home security.
When away from The Compound, park where you can see it, use the starter interrupt, and consider a GPS with real-time tracking. Doesn't hurt to know a few cops, too.;)
When I was a kid, I heard of people using rock salt in their shot guns instead of 00 buck, but how do they keep the salt from corroding the barrel?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I did a variation in the build of my Factory Five Cobra.The drivetrain was from a 2004 Mach 1 which included a clutch safety switch. I inserted a switch in the middle of the clutch safety switch circuit, so the car acted as if the clutch was not depressed and would not start. If someone tried to hotwire the car, it would not matter, still no start. I hid the switch really well under the dash, so without a mirror and a flashlight, not likely anyone would find it. Fortunately the system was never tested other than my using it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I did a variation in the build of my Factory Five Cobra.The drivetrain was from a 2004 Mach 1 which included a clutch safety switch. I inserted a switch in the middle of the clutch safety switch circuit, so the car acted as if the clutch was not depressed and would not start. If someone tried to hotwire the car, it would not matter, still no start. I hid the switch really well under the dash, so without a mirror and a flashlight, not likely anyone would find it. Fortunately the system was never tested other than my using it for peace of mind.
The neutral safety circuit in every automatic transmission could be wired this way.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If someone really wants your car they will find a way to get it.
Installing a Z-lok is definitely a good idea. Without access to the engine compartment a kill switch makes much more sense.
I am personally a big fan of interrupting the fuel supply. Pretty easy with an electrical pump. If you have a mechanical you need to install a valve. The sweet thing is the theft can make the car run easily but as soon as the fuel bowls of the carb run dry the car will stop. Most likely in the middle of the street and will it gain a lot of attention. High chance the theft will take off immediately.

Don't expect more than ideas here. If people post their specific solutions everybody would be able to read it.

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
When I was a kid, I heard of people using rock salt in their shot guns instead of 00 buck, but how do they keep the salt from corroding the barrel?

Why would Anyone want to shoot someone with rock salt?

Never point a weapon at anything you’re not prepared to destroy / kill.

·
Registered
721 Posts
This has been discussed many times- for one see on this site "The ultimate kill switch?"

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Clean the shotgun after firing - that will remove all the salt residue from the barrel before it has a chance to corrode it. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installed by the previous owner. Unfortunately, my '65 is a nothing fancy driver condition car so there's probably little interest in stealing it.... but I still use this when parking out in public. Insurance is in place for anyone that really wants the car that much but I figure this is at least an extra step for the rest of the scumbags to deal with.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,131 Posts
I put the dist. rotor in my pocket. Won't stop a tow truck, but it ain't gonna start no matter how many wires you connect under the hood.
Ha! I'm a car thief looking for a Mustang. In my pockets I have the following:

a. V8 distributor rotor.
b. Generic coil wire.
c. Three-foot primary wire with alligator clips at each end.
d. Vise-Grips.
e. Dikes.
f. Duck Tape.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ha! I'm a car thief looking for a Mustang. In my pockets I have the following:

a. V8 distributor rotor.
b. Generic coil wire.
c. Three-foot primary wire with alligator clips at each end.
d. Vise-Grips.
e. Dikes.
f. Duck Tape.
DO you tie up your "Ducks" with that Duck tape you have?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts