Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to remove the ignition lock if you don;t have a key for it?
I've always had the keys in the past but not on this one.
It's out of the car so there's no problem getting to it.
I don't want to damage the ignition switch itself though.
Any suggestions or tried and true methods?

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you use a 1/4 drill bit and drill out the key slot, you should be able to get a screw driver into the lock cylinder so you can turn it to ACC, insert a paper clip and remove it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
why not take it to a locksmith and have a key made? Save you from having to buy an new cylinder, at least. Mayb bring some spare door locks and have them all matched.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When I bought my car it was na unfinished project and it did not comes with a set of keys. I drilled mine out using a small bit, once the bit made it all the way to the end the cylinder spllied it's gut out and fell apart. I then was able to remove the cylider with no problem.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don;t have any door locks for it so I just ordered a matching set of door locks/ignition lock.
I just remembered that my father-in-law is a locksmith and could probably remove it, duh!
Thanks!

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
If you've already got the new cylinder on the way, anyway, just drill it out. It will take you less time than the phone call ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.