Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a '66 mustang with a 69 351W engine. The ignition is a Ford Motorsport box with a breakerless distributor. I made 2 pictures of it which you can see at http://www.solcon.nl/reerink/ignition.htm (pictures make take some time to download). Can anyone tell me which type of ignition this is. The distributer cap says motorcraft but I could not find it on their site.

Problem is that sometimes there seems to be no ignition on all cylinders for just a second or so, sometimes causing a backfire. This happens at any random moment, during high speed, low speed and idle. Car starts always immediately (cold and warm). When this happens during idling, the negine shuts off but if I start the engine again is runs well again.

Does anyone have suggestions. And how do I set the timing ?

Thanks,
Willy Reerink
Holland

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
that is a standard duraspark dizzy.....a good unit for your average street car

and it may be your prob.....

get someone who can measure the resistance between the wires of the distributor.....

first, take the 8 pronged rotor-like item (reluctor) off the shaft...gently by using 2 screwdrivers to gently wiggle it up the shaft, and keep the little pin that falls out..it fits in a groove between the shaft and the reluctor)

unhook the distributor connector and measure between the black wire and either the orange or the purple....should be a couple thousand ohms....

then measure between the purple and the orange.....should be about 400 ohms......it's probably going to read MUCH higher than that......sounds like a bad pickup coil (the blue object in the dizzy)

(it comes out on the plate it's mounted to....the vacuum advance can comes off, then a snap ring around the dist. shaft comes off, then undo the screws by the grommet and lift it out) theyre a 30 dollar part here (for quality brands..I only get napa or ford)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, very usefull information. The battery of my multimeter is empty, so I just cleaned the alu contact points at the inside of the distributor cap. Lots of corrosion. When I started the car, it was running very bad and I had no power brakes ! The cause was a broken brake booster check valve. I first have to order a new one, and then I can test the car to see if the ign problem still exists.

thanks again,
willy reerink

1 - 3 of 3 Posts