Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the ignition switch in my 67' coupe, and for the life of me, cannot get the cylinder to stay in. I push it in with the key inserted, then turn to key clockwise to engage the spiral lock on the back side. But when you turn the key back counterclockwise, the cylinder comes back out. Is there a trick to doing this, or am i missing something?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
It has to be put in the same way they come out. Take the lock tumbler by itself, with the key in, hold the tumbler and turn the key to the ACC position. There is the small hole on the face of the assembly, take a paper clip, push it in the hole and you will be able to turn the key past the ACC positions. Then using a screwdriver do the same with the switch iteslf, turn the switch past the ACC position. Now it is ready to install. Install the key, turn it clockwise and it should lock. You can't get it to lock trying it any other way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has to be put in the same way they come out. Take the lock tumbler by itself, with the key in, hold the tumbler and turn the key to the ACC position. There is the small hole on the face of the assembly, take a paper clip, push it in the hole and you will be able to turn the key past the ACC positions. Then using a screwdriver do the same with the switch iteslf, turn the switch past the ACC position. Now it is ready to install. Install the key, turn it clockwise and it should lock. You can't get it to lock trying it any other way.
Thank you!

In an older post here on VMF, admittedly about a 68, it was advised that paper clip wasn't necessary, going in. I fumbled with it on my 67 for way too long, before finding this post, and once I installed same as I'd removed, it finally went in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts