Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any hepl appreciated. I have been driving the 66 coupe every weekend this summer with zero problems. Parked it in the driveway on Sunday after being out and about all day. Went to start it an hour later and got nothing. No clicks, no buzzing - nada. The headlights would not come on, the horn wouldn't work, but the courtesy lights did. Hit the switch and the courtesy lights go out. Put a charger on it for an hour and the same thing happens. Shorting the solenoid did nothing either. I thought that I read that everything runs through the ignition switch and was wondering if it may be the culprit.

ps All cables are new, ground is good, starter new, solenoid new - ignition switch original.

Thoughts - ideas - suggestions for Saturday's repair.

TIA
John

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Clean your battery terminals and posts, using a cheap little tool made for this. Will most likely fix your problem.

Hint: You can't tell by looking at them, even after removing the terminals from the posts..! ::

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
do your TSs or Hazard lights work with ign switch on and off? sounds like major power feed from solenoid term battery post wiring is partially interrupted. wire is all right to firewall or you would not have courtesy lights. after firewall power is diverted to headlight circuit breaker and other places if you have voltmeter scan fuze panel row of fuzes for 12Vs DC and PM me results and i will help you.

·
Registered
36,591 Posts
How about the battery? Sounds like it only has enough juice to power the courtesy lights. The horn feeds off the headlight switch. The main feeds are all at the battery side of the starter solenoid.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill,

Thanks, I'll look into that as all other components are new. Battery and cables and connections all test fine.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts