Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I need to investigate the wiring on my ignition switch. I might find the answer to my question in my shop manual somewhere, but while I'm obsessing about it at work I thought I'd ask - what's the best way to do this? How do you remove the switch? Do I have to take out the lock cylinder to do it (I've seen lots of posts on that). I'm trying to find out why I don't have 12v on the heater fan fuse in the fuse block with the switch in the ACC position.

Thanks!

While I'm at it, I also need to look at my headlight switch to see why it won't turn on the dome light (which works fine when the doors are opened). How do I take that out to look at the wiring?

67 coupe, I6/200, and a C4
http://home.att.net/~wr.moore/LeftRear1.jpg
Randy (Learning as I go)

·
1,214 Posts
I don't recall if the 67 is like my 66 or not. but to take out a 66 Ign switch the best thing to do is
remove the instrument panel enough, so that it can be swung out of the way. Then from the top
you can get your hands on the switch. Beats crawling under the steering wheel. Yes you do have
to take out the cylinder. Then, hold the bezel on the front and push in on the spring loaded switch
housing, the turn to the....right I think. The switch is held in sorta like a automotive light bulb, with
two little nubs. The nubs lock into the bezel. The spring holds the bezel tight against the dash.

Make sure you disconnect the battery first, since there is a hot wire in the Ign switch.

anyhow that is how it's all done in 66. Hope it works for your 67.

Later,

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
You shouldn't have power to the heater blower in the ACC position, only in the ON position.

With regards to the headlight switch, drop the instrument cluster back, locate the switch portion of the headlamp switch and find the spring loaded button on the side. Depress the button while pulling the stem all the way out, then remove the bezel from the face of the dash and the switch from behind. Do all this with the battery disconnected BTW. You may want to get a wiring diagram (check online at The Mustang Shop) and see which wire comes from the dome lights and which wire goes to ground. My guess might be a bad ground wire as the ground side of the dome light circuit is normally open, but is closed by the door jamb switches and headlight switch. GL

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I don't have power to the heater fan in either ACC or ON positions.

67 coupe, I6/200, and a C4
http://home.att.net/~wr.moore/LeftRear1.jpg
Randy (Learning as I go)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts