Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H E L P
My plan for today was to start her up after hummm Six years. Well I had used contact cleaner in my start switch and she went from sticking to broke.
Insert key and the starter would spin and spin had to pop the neg cable off to stop it.
A quick trip to NAPA and picked up a new switch and viewed CJ Pony how to install video humm 3 times. But I have factory AC so the hands would not fit so we had to remove the instrument cluster
Them the switch still would not come out so I watched the video a few more times.
Question on the video there is just one wire from that you screw to the terminal on the switch.
on mines there are two. A terminal and nut and a terminal and nut.
Before I let her set up she was in PERFECT working conditions and No animals have chewed my wires and no rats nest Lucky

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there,

Regarding the starter, is it aftermarket? Stock? I had an aftermarket one do that when the solenoid on the starter went out. After I replaced the unit, the problem was solved and the starter operated normally.

You mentioned you bought a new switch. Are you referring to an ignition switch?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Missed that the title of your thread mentioned the ignition, my mistake. My $.02, take a closer look at the starter before you look at the ignition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And after re-reading your post for a 3rd time, I see that you stated your ignition went from "sticking to broke." Did the cylinder turn all the way around? How'd it break? ignore my starter suggestion, I finally understand what you were saying now....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It went from a gritty odd feel. Added a bit of contact cleaner she them became loose with not stops and when you went start it did not have the momentary action. So I just got a new switch. On all the install videos online the cars never have factory air so the drop from bottom just not happening.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Let's back up a little.
What year is the car?
It sounds like corrosion had it on its last leg.
Is there a water leak at the windshield or cowl that is going to do this to a new switch? Can you attach any pics of what you're working on?

·
Registered
703 Posts
So, is there a problem with the new switch?
Was it a Standard Motor Products ignition switch, as was suggested?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I guess it's time to review your original issue. The ignition switch kept the starter engaged, right? You replaced the switch and the problem still exists, right? If both of the previous events are correct, it's likely not an ignition switch problem. Your switch should go from the off position to a run/power on position then to a spring loaded start position. If the key returns to the run position when you release it, the switch is probably doing what it is supposed to do. If the key returns to the run position and the starter still cranks, then your problem lies in either the starter solenoid (sticking) or the starter (internal contacts).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts