Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 has started to short out when driving, it is intermittent but getting worse. Last night I became stranded. It will be running and then just die, sometimes cutting out totally and sometimes sputtering ant then continuing to run. Last night it left me stranded and would only start for a few seconds. I have replaced the coil and problem continues. I know it is electrical and not gas related. would replacing the ignition switch possibly help, or could it be the wiring from the switch or something else? Any Ideas or help would be appreciated. TIA

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Real easy way to test to see if it's the ig. switch, is when the car won't start or dies, leave the key where it is and check the red/green wire on the + side of the coil. It should have at least 7v on it. If it does, it's not your ignition switch. If it doesn't, it's either the switch or the wiring from the switch to coil. If it has voltage, but it's real low (below 7v), it's most likely a shorted wire.

Caution: Leave the key in the "on" position without the engine running JUST long enough to do the tests, then turn the key off, as it's not good for points, coils, or electronic triggers.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Johnpro has it right. couple months ago helped another VMFer with similar problem. he had short in harness wiring going across car under radiator. wire 38A/37 from near battery is main power feed and lkelyl cause of problem except ignition switch. PM me if you need further help.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John & Bill, I will check it like that. I bought another switch from Pep boys just in case it's that, $19 ins'n so bad I guess. I hope it's not the wires!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This happened to me about a year ago. Turns out the magnetic pickup in my MSD distributor failed. A $20 part. Wish I'd tried that before replacing a better part of the ignition system. ;)

Easy way to tell if it's the ignition switch. While it's running, jiggle the key a little bit and see if you can get it to quit on you. I think the contacts go bad after a number of years causing the intermitent stalling. hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Could you elaborate on this main feed wire and how to locate it (I have a '69)? I have been having the same problem and have so far changed coil, distributor, voltage regulator, solenoid, and last night the iginition switch. Not sure if it is fixed now (no time to drive it), but knowing my luck it will not be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts