Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have the lock cylinder out of the ignition switch. How do I get the rest of the switch out? The haynes repair manual says to push in on the back of the switch and rotate counter clock wise. I have done this, and nothing seems to be happening. Am I missing somthing here?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Nope, you're not missing anything. Make sure the bezel is not rotating with the switch. If it is, you're going to have to find a way to hold it still. There should be 2 notches in the dash, with pins from the bezel in the notches. If the pins are broken off, or the dash itself is messed up, the whole assembly will turn, instead of just the switch. Once you turn the switch without turning the bezel, the hole thing will come apart on you.

G

·
0 Posts
This is much easier to do when the instrument cluster is removed. You can really grip the switch/push and turn at the same time through the instrument cluster opening.

Also, you can hold the bezel and twist at the same time easily. The switch is being held to the dash by the bezel. There are slots in the bezel and the switch has tabs that fit into the slots. The whole thing is quite similar to the bulb sockets.

Removing the instrument cluster really really really makes putting it back together alot easier too.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
If I read it correctly, you are trying to disconnect the wiring harness from the ignition switch, right? There are hook connectors on either side of the switch and harness connection. Pretty easy to make out. Problem might be the same as mine, the switch gets hot probably do to a short sometime ago and it welded the plastic together. What you may have to do is jimmy the hooks apart, then grab both ends with pliers (wrapped with something to keep them from doing to much damage) and kind of jiggle it until it breaks loose. Just did that over the weekend so I've been there.

If you are talking about the cylinder from the switch, I can't help. Never got mine off.

Just be sure your battery is disconnected.

J. Boggs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts