Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the blue or purple wire that plugs into the back of the starter switch go to on a 67?? Its a seperate plug all by itself tha hooks on the side. Hooked my battery up after changing out the switch and smoked up the inside of my car.
Thanks, TJ

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Would have to look at a wire diagram (have you tried this ?)

There are plenty of junctions and plugs on a wire loom and not all of them are used.... If everythign works why worry? ;)

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
tommyjack said:
What does the blue or purple wire that plugs into the back of the starter switch go to on a 67?? Its a seperate plug all by itself tha hooks on the side. Hooked my battery up after changing out the switch and smoked up the inside of my car.
Thanks, TJ
According to the wiring diagrams, the only thing close to what you describe are:
Blue/red (from Accessory post) that goes to a fuse, and then to the brake indicator light.

The other colors going into the ignition switch are: pink, red/blue, black/green, green/red, and yellow.

I think you are dealing with some sort of an aftermarket device.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats it!!! What does it do?? And is it worth replacing my entire harness for? Anyone tried unpluging it to see what doesn't work?

Thanks TJ

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I never figured out what it was there for. In my original (hacked-up) harness, the two purple wires were cut off and taped up. On the new harness, they fed into a black plastic connector that fit perfectly into that "side" terminal on the ignition switch. I never did investigate the purpose of the connection.

Midlife: The double-purple wires were there on my original harness as well as my replacement harness. This was an ebay purchase of a harness that was pulled from a wrecked car back in the 70s. It was an original 67 harness in near perfect condition. There is NO WAY that it is an aftermarket "add on ".

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somebodys got a know. It does not show up on the wiring diagrams I have. Thanks for help anyway.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is from VMF member Acooljt. Sounds like he has figured it out.

There are actually 2 blue wires(one of them might be striped)on coming out of
the back of the ignition switch. They're both coming out fo the same plug
though. Anyway, I traced one of them, and it goes to the instrument cluster.
Then I referred to my assembly manual and as I told you before, there's a blue
wire going to one of the turn signal or emergency flasher relays(this would
likely be the 2nd blue wire). So, my final conclusion is that these blue wires
function somehow with the emergency flasher circuit. If you think about it, one
of them going to a relay, and another one going to the instrument panel, that
one is likely feeding your dash lights for when you turn your emergency signal
on. Hope this helps. If it doesn't I suppose I could search farther, but I'm
fairly certain with my conclusion.

·
Registered
38,177 Posts
The violet wire is the "prove out" wire. It provides a ground signal when the key is turned to the "Start" position to test your "idiot" lights, like brake warning, etc. Do you have the convenience group?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts