Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna see if you guys and gals out there can help with a little problem that I am having with my ignition. First I will start with the mods and all the new parts. Brand new 347 stroker, new starter, alternator, voltage reg, starter solenoid, battery, painless wiring, msd pro billet distributor, blaster 2 coil, 6a box. Please bare with me as i explain this problem. When i turn the key to start the enigne, it turns over with no spark. When i release the key from the start position and it moves to the on position, thats when it throws a spark. I have pulled the coil wire to the distributor to verify this. The engine will eventually start, by doing this cycle a couple of times. Has anyone ran into this before? I'm thinking that maybe the ignition switch is bad and the contact points are worn. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

Even with a bad ignition switch, the ignition circuit would still be energized during cranking by the "I" terminal on the solenoid.

But, you have to remeber that with an MSD 6A that circuit does not energize the coil, it only turns on the MSD unit. The coil is used as a step-up transformer for the discharging capacitors. If you have no spark, it is because the MSD has not been hooked up correctly. It sounds to me like you have the smaller red wire of the MSD connected to the accessory terminal of your ignition switch, not the ignition terminal. When the switch is in cranking position, power is cut to the accessory terminal. That's why your wipers, heater blower, etc. shut down while the switch is in crank position. Recheck your wiring again.

Let us know what you find

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts