Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant figure this out.

i have my new ignition cylinder/switch mounted and connected. the turn signals/radio/interior courtesy lights, etc. all work in any of the posititions that i have the key turned to.

when i turn the key to start the motor nothing happens. if i jump start the car at the solenoid, the car will not start, unless the key is in "run" position. any ideas????

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Jump starting at the solenoid and starts when the key is in the run position is good. But no activity when you turn the Key ( no cranking, no clicking)? I guess the battery is fully charged? is the two small leads on the solenoid connected to the right posts?

Just a couple of ideas, Hope someone has the solution.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I completely forgot about that! If the trans is in D and you turn the key to START, all dash lights go out but the starter won't turn - however, you can hot wire the car via the solenoid. If the Neutral starting switch is bad or disconnected and not bypassed, the car can't be started using the key.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 3514V FMX combo from a 69 mach, on my diagram i see where the plug is in the firewall but its not connected to anything, and i have no idea where it is/what it looks like. suggestions???

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had similar problems with my ignition recently and it turned out to be the wire conections at the ignition switch. While your ignition switch is out check power to and from the switch with a test light. The Green/Red and Pink wire should power up when the key is turned to start. This is the same wire that send power to the starter side of you solenoid. Check this wire at all connections

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
at the firewall there will be a four place connector two will be male and two female. one set is for reverse lights and the other set is the neutral safety switch. jump across them and i cant remember which two are which. this will bypass the safety switch should fix the problem. car will not turn over at the key if the switch is disconnected. astang68

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is the actual switch? i have no idea even what the thing looks like. can you elaborate on how to bypass the switch???????

i just replaced the ignition switch/key cylinder with stuff from NPD, my connectors looked good, so i didnt use the crimped replacement connector, i kept the original.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
neutral safety switch is mounted on the shifter linkage of the tranny. the wires from the switch run up to a plug on the firewall. left hand side of the car. just take and jump across the terminals of the plug from the firewall. on set will light the reverse lights and the other will act like the switch is bypassed. allowing the car to crank from the key

1 - 10 of 10 Posts