Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this 250 short block up today. It was the right price and I couldnt pass on it. PO was going to drop it in a Maverick and went with a 302 instead. Its going in my 67 in place of the current 200.

30 over, stock cam, pre smog timing set. Im guessing the pistons are .13 down, 6.5cc dish, .045 head gasket, 53cc head will give me a low 8:1 CR.

Why-o-why didnt the builder put flat tops in?

Anyway as soon as I get the 65 projects done, this will be my winter project.

Ive got most of the parts to reassemble, I need an oil pan, DSII and some odds and ends.

Ive got a new 1V and a rebuildable 1.01 2100 and 2 good C9 heads..

The biggie is I have a useable set of 69 Mustang 250 mounts.

I wasnt looking for a 250, Im up to my eyeballs in the 65, but S happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
The 250 is a solid engine. It might be worth punching that up some but then I tend to do that with every engine I get my hands on. Its a bit easier to deck the block and shave the heads since you only have one head to deal with. The big thing then is getting the valve train back in shape.

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
That's a nice find to help cure the winter month blues.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Mmmm ! !... Had a 250 in 68 build with a buddy once. Torquey little engine. How hard would it be to just swap the pistons for flat tops? Have fun ! !

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
before you do anything, run the numbers CAREFULLY. you want the compression ratio around 9.5:1. you can do that in a couple of ways;

1: you can install replacement pistons from a 2.5hsc engine from a tempo, and then mill the head as needed
2: you can mill the head substantially, like .075" or so.

either way upgrade the cam to something like a comp cams h260he grind, or something close as sold by vintageinlines.com. they sell the clay smith cams.

and dont forget to upgrade the head with a 2v conversion. the weber 38/38 is a good choice, personally i would use two of them though properly spaced.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer not to mill perfectly good metal off a block or head, once its gone, its gone.

Flat tops will bring the CR up to around 8.8:1 and I can get a set of them for around $100 + whatever it will cost to have the rods pressed on.

I want to disassemble the engine anyway and clean it and check the bearings and make sure there is assembly lube.

Oil pan anyone? A 250 pan is now repo'd, but it cost nearly what I paid for the shortblock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts