Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember that I bought a 1966 Fairlane GTA a year or so ago. While my restoration style is generally to keep things original, the drivetrain in this car is a cobbled up mess. Where there used to be a 390-4v and a C6, there is now a Galaxie FE block, a truck intake, incorrect heads, 2v carburetor, and an FMX. It still has the original 9" rear.

With this car, I've been contemplating a late-model drivetrain. While I would really like a 4.6 out of a Mustang GT, the DOHC heads wont' fit. In fact, the OHC design on the run of the mill 4.6 is too wide, too. Here's where the blasphemy comes in. I recently towed a totalled, moderately low mileage 2001 Chevrolet Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec engine and an automatic transmission. It has no insurance and it appears that the owner is going to abandon it. I've been doing some measuring and it appears to be small enough to fit between the shock towers of the GTA. I realize there would be a lot of fabrication to make it work, but I think I could do it without any permanent modifications to the the car.

While I like Mustangs, I'm not a die hard Ford brander. In fact, I own vehicles from each of the Big 3, plus a few International wreckers. In my opinion, the Vortec head design is among the best ever made and that powerplant would provide plenty of grunt for a car the size of the Fairlane. I know I could find a suitable Ford driveline, but it wouldn't be any more original than the Chevy stuff.

I'll get about $800 for the truck from my salvage buyer. I could get more if I parted it myself, but I don't do that. I couldn't buy another complete late model driveline with everything intact for what I would get for the truck, plus I'll get a few hundred bucks for what I don't use. I'm still in the concept stage, but I'm seriously considering it.

OK, flame away.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Oh man, that's even worse than all the guys with 350s in their 32 Fords. As a Fairlane owner myself, I'm pretty sure that violates the code. Sell the 5.3 and put a nice SBF in it. BTW, have you been drinking? :crazy:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I can relate to the desire to mod in a different way. I used to be employed by a truck stop in the middle of nowhere in Az. I helped the owner dispose of/sell the vehicles he towed and were not picked up. You can get some real crazy ideas with a bunch of stuff sitting around.

With that said, just put the beer down and rest for a couple of days. The feeling will pass. lol

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
While I like Mustangs, I'm not a die hard Ford brander. In fact, I own vehicles from each of the Big 3, plus a few International wreckers. In my opinion, the Vortec head design is among the best ever made and that powerplant would provide plenty of grunt for a car the size of the Fairlane. I know I could find a suitable Ford driveline, but it wouldn't be any more original than the Chevy stuff.

THEN SELL THE FORD AND GET A CHEVY. Cross breeding is like dorking your sister. Once you've done it you will be labeled FOREVER!!!!!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
That did it now where did I leave my shot gun. I have never been a lover of cross breeding. Please don't do it.

·
Administrator
19,775 Posts
It doesn't sound like the best idea to me.
If it's a 5.3 then it's an OBDII truck , right? That means you have to have all your ducks in a row to get it all to work. For intance that truck will set the check engine light if you leave the gas cap off. Therefore you'll have to figure out how to disable/fool that sensor ability or retrofit all that Evap junk to the Fairlane tank. Have you looked at that charcoal can/Evap box under the truck? There's a mess for you right there. Plus you'll need in in-tank fuel pump and no doubt a bunch of other stuff. I'm guessing that thing has the usual 4L60E transmission instead of the rarer 4L80E. Not a bad tranny, but not all that great either. Pretty sensitive to OBDII connections, it will not shift unless all the computer stuff is right.
OK, this is doable. The Chevy guys retrofit LT1's and stuff, but I haven't heard or seen anything about 5.3's. So you may be forging new ground here. Which means there may be no one to ask for advice. I'm pretty sure no one has ever done such a thing to a Fairlane so you'll definitely be on your own with fabbing up motor mounts and such.
And when you're done, you'll have....what will you have exactly? And who would want to buy it should you decide to start a new project?
You say the current drivetrain is sort of "cobbled" together? OK, why not make it a "Day 2" restoration. Cragar mags, four barrel intake and carb, headers, etc. You could stretch it by swapping heads, a 390 can be stroked to a 427, maybe even a 4 speed swap. And when done you can take it to a cruise-in and people will say "cool" when you open the hood instead of "what the hell is that?". Such a car will remind a few people of what they/brother/friend had back in their younger days and you might get a nice cash offer for it.
I know what I would do. I'm not a fan of Fairlanes or 390's. But I don't hate them either and I know both have their place. I'd build a car that would appeal to people who do really like Fairlanes. I might grow fond of such a car and decide to keep it. But not if everyone made fun of it. A transplanted late model Chevy truck engine is just not appealing in any way except maybe driveability. And there are lots of better ways to achieve more modern driveability.

·
Registered
859 Posts
BLISTIC said:
Cross breeding is like dorking your sister. Once you've done it you will be labeled FOREVER!!!!!
:pirate: Besides the fact that you'll be called a "sister dorker" :pirate:

I dont believe you'll ever be able to sell it... I knew a guy a few years ago that put a SBC in a 68 Mustang and then wanted to sell it ...He got not respect or offers to buy from either side of the fence.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randyfastback65 said:
:pirate: Besides the fact that you'll be called a "sister dorker" :pirate:
I see nothing wrong with that, as long as it's your sister and not mine. ;)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I tend to agree with my father's famous quote on this subject........ "It's your f****ng car, do whatever the hell you want with it!" ( Direct quote) I've always agreed with that statement. Any way to keep these old cars alive, do it. If that's what you have on hand, use it. The previous owner cobbled a drive train together, right? If it was original, I would keep it original. ( If it were my car) it's not original, why not get creative? ( My father, BTW, just put a 4cyl volvo penta motor in a 1971 MG midget)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well I'm not brand loyal either and think it would be one hell of a mod, unique and original. I've seen many converted motor cars at shows although it tends to be the 50s cars and older.

Getting it to work is the tricky thing like mentioned already.

I still wouldn't do anything non-reversable to the Fairlane.

P.S. Didn't you have a 69 Mustang you were working on too? Maybe finish that one first and give yourself some time to think of this mod and just hang onto the pick up for now.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Here's a direct quote from me: "Are you out of your God $%^& mind?!?!"

Leave it alone. Better off to put on a 351 Windsor. Sheesh

I swear, one second after I win the lottery I'll be buying a Corvette to drop a Ford six in .......

·
Registered
934 Posts
The fact that you, yourself have considered it blasphemous states that something is wrong.

I say keep a 390 in it and upgrade it to have fuel injection, OR put a McPherson strut front suspension conversion kit on it which would allow you to easily modify the engine compartment to fit a 4.6/5.4 engine.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Sell the salvage truck. I own an LSX powered vehicle, and you're right, it's an awesome design. The market is there, you'll be able to sell it.

Go for a very late 5.0 out the Explorer - believe it or not, they are still out there with around 100,000 miles or less which still leaves you with 50,000+ hard miles based on the longivity of the fuel injectected motor. A freind of mine just put a 100,000 mile Explorer 5.0 (gt40p heads, distributorless ignition, eaod trans) into his cherry '67 Glaxie - then put twin turbos on it!

Stick with a Ford motor - you wont be sorry. Especially if you ever decide to sell it. It will be the biggest orphan around with an LSX in it!

·
Registered
337 Posts
It is your car do what you want with it. Not. I have fords, chevys and a pontiac. I would be brand loyal. Even though the majority of my cars and trucks are GM, I don't cross that line. If you like though,I have a neighbor with a big block Ford engine just sitting in the garage. It is torn apart, and ready to go back together. I haven't seen the husband around in a long time. I might be able to hook you up so to speak. The engine she bought her husband for Christmas a few years ago. It is supposed to go in a Fairlane 500 or a Cyclone I forget which. I could find out for you. Oh and the car is setting under a cover under the car port and hasn't run or moved since they moved in six years ago. It is in VA Beach, Va. Us Arkansans need to stick together.
Kerry

·
Registered
337 Posts
I forgot to say. It is a big block, ie 427, 428, or 429. Disassembled but rebuilt.I forget exactly what size it is.
Kerry

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i say go electric in it!!! LOL, just kiddin. It would be funny for you to put in the chevy motor and then put on some valve covers that say ford on them. Have people scratching thier heads all day long! Sounds like you have a lot of time on your hands and nothing better to do.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Wow, some of the responses!!! Wow....

Ok, now that I have that out of my system, I am not a fan of cross breeding cars. I do think if you take your time an equal deal that will work will present itself in a Ford.

The bottom line is, it is your car and you should do what you want with it. If it were me I would buy the truck and then keep the drive train and find a Chevy use for it, like an early model truck or something. Maybe a large Caprice from the early 70s...I would hang on to the Fairlane and get a good stroked SBF and a nice AOD and put in there....

Disclaimer - I am not much of a Fairlane fan either.

Mel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts