Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done all the research and searches possible to finally take care of the conversion of my '65 coupe's MC to a dual (drums/drums). I just had a couple final questions for you foks:

1) if I get the new MC w/out the pushrod installed, how do I bench bleed the sucker? Can it be installed w/out the lines and then bled?

2) To remove the old MC - are the only steps to first take off the clip for the lights on the pedal, remove the 2 bolts holding the MC to the firewall and pull it off? Seems too simple

3) Seems like there is two schools of thought on the neccessity of a distribution block. If a 'T' is used for the front, and the back line is simply run to the rear of the MC - does this really create two independent circuits?

This is a very important installation for me and my girlfriend so I really appreciate all you input.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If a 'T' is used for the front, and the back line is simply run to the rear of the MC - does this really create two independent circuits?

For front discs, the rear of the master cylinder is for the front brakes, (larger reservior). The front of the master cylinder (small reservior) is for the rear.

A diverter valve is a safety device that closes off either the front or rear braking circuit when either side has lost pressure, something that was used with dual master cylinders that you should consider installing.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
1. You can bench bleed with anything that will fit in the hole. A round headed carraige bolt works well.

2. That's about it.

3. I recommend a distribution block (a dual circiut type - post 67) because you will then have two safety system instead of one. Given that Ford was so cheap when making these cars (example not painting the cowl insides!) why do you think they would got to the expense of a dual system distribution block if just directly plumbing the back lines accomplished the same thing? You can get one by advertising on the VMF want ad pages. You will probably get about 5 to 7 offers 1 or 2 of which will be reasonably priced. In the interest of fairness I should note that many VMFers have done the direct plumbing route and at least one said his brakes failed after that and the circuits stayed seperate. But when I look at the exploded schematic drawings of the dual master and the ditstribution block I am convinced of the need for a dual circiut distribution block.

John Harvey

·
Registered
255 Posts
What would be a fair price for a Distribution block. I too will be undertaking this conversion. Currently have a Single Master with Drum/Drum. Thanks.

MidnightMustang

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
2) don`t forget to remove the brake lines :eek:
I would recommend getting the special wrench for this. I believe it`s called a flare wrench, or brakeline wrench ::

·
Registered
712 Posts
What would be a fair price for a Distribution block.
I recently paid $10 including shipping from a fellow VMFer.

Post in the wanted ads.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I paid $14 or $15 including shipping.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts