Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoxsteve reminded me about the POR 15 test I am currently doing. I used the stuff this weekend on Coppertone. I wore gloves but I still got some on my hands and arms. Let me warn those of you who haven't used this stuff. IT DOESN'T COME OFF ONCE IT DRIES. CLEAN WITH LACQUER THINNER IMMEDIATELY UPON CONTACT.

I'll let you know if and when it comes off. Luckily I got the spot off my nose before it hardened. *hehe*

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Despite the humid conditions (showers, baths, summer) they are exposed to, my bet is that your hands, arms, and nose won't rust anytime soon either......;) Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
900 Posts
Everything I've heard about POR 15 is positive, but I used Corroless (from Eastwood) on my '66. I figured that if it was strong enough to use on North Sea oil platforms it could handle my Mustang...plus, it seems to come off the skin with mineral spirits--a lot more user-friendly than acetone.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
"a lot more user-friendly than acetone"
Maybe so, but why take the easy way out?
Where can I buy POR15 - I'm gonna need at LEAST a gallon of the stuff.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I shot the entire engine bay of my '65 project with POR-15. I stupidly didn't wear a mask (painting outside in the driveway). After we're done, I look at my son who says "oh, s&*t! Go look in the mirror!" My teeth were all black *LOL*. Some very quick and aggressive scrubbing got it off, but the stuff on hands and arms took about a week to come off.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I used the stuff in ample quantities on my 71. I learned about the skin thing the hard way during a MAJOR cowl repair. On the 71's, it's possible to remove covers and reach into the cowl to repair. Well, this is exactly what I did with fiberglass cloth, epoxy putty, and LOTS of POR-15. By the time I finished the patch job, I had that stuff smeared and cured from fingertips to elbows. That's when I learned it doesn't come off skin once dry. For the next month, I had black streaked hands and arms till enough skin finally flaked off.

Now I wear gloves!

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

G

·
0 Posts
My thoughts exactly! Notice how he so eloquantly slips in his confession in another post so he can avoid the Doofus of the Year award. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page
[color:red]Updated: 4/13/2001</font color=red>
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."-Eisenhower

G

·
0 Posts
Well at least you didn't have it all over your hands and then go take a leak like this one guy did a while back. Story was all over the net, what a riot.

G

·
0 Posts
Do you remember the link posted a year or so about the Guy who got por15 on his whatchamacallit? Apparently he was in the middle of applying the stuff when nature called. I wish I still had the link, It was great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts