Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed every bit of undercoating from Midlife, as of today. I began in mid-January, working every weekend and the past two weeks straight. I found lots of rust spots hiding underneath, as well as the *dreaded* aluminum riveted patch panels. I just placed my final order for sheet metal with Matt of Penderosa Mustang. Biggest problems:
(a) Driver side shock tower is rusted completely at the bottom, and on top of the frame rail. I believe I can cut out the bad parts and patch in a section from a new shock tower.
(b) Passenger side rear fender apron (connects shock tower to firewall) is badly buckled due to what I guess is a previous accident. I hope to salvage the hood hinge section and patch in the rest. The VIN is safe.

The front passenger side of the car was in an accident, as there is are replacement forward fender apron, and the radiator support. Someone did a very nice job of brazing in a patch panel at the bottom of the fendor apron where the battery obviously leaked and rotted out the material.

Tomorrow: on to the interior for clean up, and then off to the trunk to remove all the bondo covering the *dreaded* aluminum patch panels with rivets.

Thank God I'm free at last (of undercoating), I'm free at last!!!

Ruh Roh...forgot...got some undercoating along the pinch welds that I have to remove once I get Mid off the lift and onto the rotisserie.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Well now, since you are going to be such an experienced welder I think I know what you can do in September to keep from getting bored in Aberbeen /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

It all sounds good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Congratulations! Now it's time to paaarty. Have some IC and sit back and admire your victory. But not too long. You have a long way to go. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Administrator
19,501 Posts
So what excuse will you use now to sniff gasoline? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can now tell octane rating by the fumes. Time to sniff every gas pump I run across!

Gasoline is a great solvent for working on cars, as it doesn't harm the paint, but with elbow grease, removes just about everything else. Kerosene, I've been told, works just as well, but it is harder to find, and not as cheap.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Gasoline is a great solvent for working on cars, as it doesn't harm the paint

That's not what the paint on my tail light panel says ... I think aslan or someone posted pictures of what gasoline did to my paint as it seeped out. I think what you meant was it shouldn't hurt paint *LOL*. I've got to take it in next week and make them fix it (still covered by warranty).

Anyway, just kidding, but couldn't resist that. Glad you've got most of that job done. That's one nasty, nasty job. Sounds like you've now got even more work cut out for you.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well my only piece of advice (today) is to tackle one piece at a time and finish up as you move along. It is tempting to get several welding projects going at the same time but it is very satisfying to see the projects "finish up" rather than "pile up!"

If you had just taken care of one of my doors in your spare time...I'd fly down and help you with the welding. Too bad!

Oh well, welding is sort of fun in a manly kind of way!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi, I know just how you feel. I spent 3 months working 4 hrs. a day for 3 days a week to get the bottom of my 68 FB cleaned up. Of course that also included doing the inside floors too which were also covered with rust proofing and had the carpet put down while still wet. What a mess. For anyone about to start this, there a number of ways to go, none much fun. I started with a good breathing mask, lots of those disposible rubber gloves and tons of paper towels. I used a heat gun and a putty knife and a dull chisel to start. Once I got the heavy stuff off, I used varsol and brillo pads and then a tooth brush. Three quarters of the way through, I am definitely a slow learner, I finally got smart and doused the area I was working on with varsol and then used a small hand grinder with a steel wire brush. Things went a lot faster after that. This process does, however, burnish the metal and I found I had to do a real good job of degreasing afterwards to get paint to stick. It's got to be the most depressing part of any resoration. Every time I came across rust holes, particularly in frame rails I swore I would just clean it up, patch it and sell the damn thing. Once I got the repairs done and cleaned up the inside floor, I became more sane (?) and decided it was not a bad car at all. One thing for sure, next time I do this I'm using a rotisserie!! Mark

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'd almost offer you a free airplane ticket to Buffalo with expenses to finish my back underside (got wheel wells and front of gas tank done). only my battery panel, radiator frame, and drv side rear frame rail had to be replaced and had no undercoating to remove. after doing rear wheel wells had to shampoo hair 3-times to remove crud and wire cup brush ends but i can see the light now. dirty job eh?

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Randy: either I don't have any friends, or I don't have any enemies. No one came by to lend a hand with the undercoat removal or to blow up the gas laying outside the garage. Of course, i did sneak a few smokes here and there, but was quite careful about that!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Congrats Randy!!! Hope the Rusty Geezer award prompted you to finish the job faster, hehe. Or just confirmed your disgust with a certain fellow VMFr. (Me, LOL) If you read this, PM me about an upcoming trip to Rock Springs to check up on O/T dealings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts