Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 66 is finally starting to take some form of shape! As stated earlier, all of my fiberglass parts for the body are coming right along, My new Flaming River steering wheel came today! :: It has 3 black aluminum spokes, and the wheel itself is covered in Black Italian Leather and hand stitched and includes a billet style horm button. It's also one of these ergonomic wheels that fits your hands at the 10 and 2 position of the wheel like a glove. This is the same one MYTOYS ordered from me a while back, and I wanted to keep after I saw it, but yes, I did finally give it to him.... :( Especially since his was on back order for 5 months. Fortunately, mine didn't take as long.

Also I will be getting my first look at my custom door panels tomorrow, as my guy that is building them for me is stopping by with the prototype, not to mention my custom package tray that I am building myself will be done soon! I love it when a plan starts to take shape, and you can actually see a small amount of progress being made!

I do have one question though. A lot of the later year factory hood scoops had some sort of grilles, but the 65/66 doesn't. What's your thoughts on either doing a bar grille (something like a billet grille) or a more traditional honeycomb style grille for the early years inside the scoop at the front.

I am also toying with the idea of fabricating a vacuum operated flapper that works similar to the shaker, but mounts inside the hood scoop on the hood itself. To help how much fresh air comes. Anyone see any draw backs to this idea?

Any thoughts on either?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I can't wait to see this monster. Are you really going to be able to sell this when you're done? (my guess is NO *LOL*)

I'm not to sure on the grill in a '65/'66 scoop. The '69/'70 scoops are quite a bit taller and wider, so the grill is almost needed to keep it from looking TOO big. You'd have to re-design the '65/'66 scoop to accept the grill, as you'd have to have some bosses in it for attachment screws. Most people, I think like the relatively small scoop on the early cars, and so not sure of how much market there'd be if you had to make it bigger.

... just some late night thoughts and rambling. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts