Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my a 9" open diff. with 3.70 gears, which I want gear-wise, that is looking at a full rebuild with carrier bearings et al. Now for about $500 more I could put in the limted slip. I have read a lot of threads on here about how good they are yada yada but this more than doubles the price of my pumpkin's build.

So is it really worth it? Will I be unhappy with this gearing in an open diff. on a street car with a healthy crate 306 and T5 tranny?

I know what each does and how they work I just can't seem to decide. And for that matter, $1300 would get me a brand new drop in unit from Currie or Moser. Where does it stop??!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm in the same state as you - rebuilding my 9 inch. I too have an open rear that I'm putting a 3.50 Traction-Loc in.

IMHO, if you're going to do it, do it right the first time and don't set yourself up for regret. Especially with a fun motor and a T5. I'd say the Traction-Loc is a given.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have my a 9" open diff. with 3.70 gears, which I want gear-wise, that is looking at a full rebuild with carrier bearings et al. Now for about $500 more I could put in the limted slip. I have read a lot of threads on here about how good they are yada yada but this more than doubles the price of my pumpkin's build.

So is it really worth it? Will I be unhappy with this gearing in an open diff. on a street car with a healthy crate 306 and T5 tranny?

I know what each does and how they work I just can't seem to decide. And for that matter, $1300 would get me a brand new drop in unit from Currie or Moser. Where does it stop??!!!
It never stops!

In reality most of these cars are not daily drivers, never see a track, never go off paved streets, and never get driven in snow...

That said, I dropped the money for a Currie unit with 3.70s and TrueTrac because I love the feeling when the back end breaks loose!

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It never stops!

In reality most of these cars are not daily drivers, never see a track, never go off paved streets, and never get driven in snow...

That said, I dropped the money for a Currie unit with 3.70s and TrueTrac because I love the feeling when the back end breaks loose!

Good luck,
-Rory
and what did that cost out the door?

·
Registered
786 Posts
MAE racing shows the 9" third member complete, with trac lock, for $569.00. I don't have one, but when I get ready it looks like a good deal.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Had to laugh at the title of this thread, sorry....:shrug:
(I'm having a hard time deciding on my 3rd member)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was curious if this forum had a sense of humor. A title like that wouldn't have made it past the second post on other forums I frequent. nice catch, rarebreed. .

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You could drop the clutches of a Trac Lok and go with a True Trac instead. Open differential under normal driving. Two wheel burn outs when dropping the hammer.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I was curious if this forum had a sense of humor. A title like that wouldn't have made it past the second post on other forums I frequent. nice catch, rarebreed. .

Thanks...!

·
Registered
7,109 Posts

+1 boys will be boys LOL!

·
Registered
7,109 Posts

My thought for you........
Google "PowerTrax", or go to Richmond Gear's site. They are a little cheaper and, it's a DIY system. You, definately, want a 2 wheel drive system. Especially, if you start "sport'in" up the engine!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've got a Detroit TrueTrac. Its a clutchless system that should last forever provided that you don't hit it with crazy horsepower.

-Shannon

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Not dissimilar to my subject line for explorer rear ends off craigslist "re: I'm interested in your rear end".

Apologies for derailing further.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Hey guys,

Why not get a little laugh these days. Life is too short!(?)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nah, it's Friday and we all need a laugh to make it through the last few hours of the work day.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts