Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an electric fan and it looks pretty strait forward other than knowing where to plug my electric leads into. Does anyone know? It's a 67 C code.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to install a thermostat switch or a fan controller. I'd rather the fan just run all of the time while my car is running. Is there anything wrong with that?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
You can wire it to run constant if you want, but you will still want to feed it using a relay. The fan will pull too many amps to run it through the stock wiring.

You may want to re-think the constant on as it will slow down the time it takes your car to get to proper operating temperature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I ordered a fan controller. I see how they work now. My car was overheating so I bought a fan today. Probably don't need any of this stuff just needed to clean my air filter. I just got fresh paint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any sort of trick to reattaching the fan bolts? Doesn't seem like it want's to line up. I let the engine run without the bolts and the spacer.

I bought these bolts, they will be here Friday.

Fine Hex Cap Screws, 5/16-24 x 3/4, 1 inch.

Can anyone confirm these are correct?

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
Having the belts on is going to make that more difficult. It would be easier to loosen the belts so the water pump pulley can move around a bit. Beyond that, it's just getting shorter bolts that are the same size/thread pitch.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
So right now you have no fan at all?

Assuming your radiator is stock thickness, width (20") and configuration, and going by what's missing in the pic, you need:

Engine Fan With 5-Blades 17" 289/302/351 1965-1973

This wouldn't hurt either:

You can, of course, install the electric fan with a fan controller. I'm using this controller:

You can use a simple relay with a switch but then you have to be constantly watching your temp gauge. I would not do this.
I would not use any aftermarket electric fan other than SPAL.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Loosening the belts is actually really good advice. How do I loosen them?
If you do not know how to loosen a fan belt you should get some hands on help converting to an electric fan. The fan belt is really basic and the electric fan requires understanding of both the cooling and electrical systems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, I kind of know it’s like asking what to do with my balls. But I really don’t know. I think I know. Because I looked at where there is a slider and a bolt at the end of it. Which I assume is loosened then belts slide over then I tighten the bolt back again.

bad news is I don’t have a wrench that big. Ionly go up to 1/2 inch. If it is a stock size could you maybe tell me what it is? Or guess at what size it might be? Unless I missed this by a landslide.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts