Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Try a 9/16” wrench to adjust the alternator for belt tension.
Next time you are out and about stop at a Harbour Freight store and pick up a set of 3/8” drive sockets up tp about 3/4” with ratchet and a set of combination wrenches.
If you are serious about working on your car these are the basics to start.

Reactions: derek2079

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update. Got a set of wrenches today and fixed everything. I'm really happy to this forum and to it's member's that are gracious enough to help newbies like me.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Next on your shopping list is a Ford work shop manual, either CD or paper back copy which is more convenient.
Many answers to simple questions can be found in that publication, I don’t think soap is one of them!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
As kechke said, get yourself a copy of the shop manual, I prefer the hard copy.
Come on guys, at some point, none of us knew what a relay was. At least he's not mopedboy or barnett. For now, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Gotta admit I had a little chuckle though.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I could go either way on this.

Either this guy is really green and hopefully we've helped him. WIN.
Or he's a pretty funny troll. Also WIN.

My first car was a 1969 Firebird. I was 15 and knew very little about working on cars and there was no internet to ask stuff. I relied on my dad, car magazines and auto shop class. If someone told me I needed an electric fan I'd probably have asked, "OK, where do I plug this in?" I didn't know what a relay was until I was in my 20s and I even took Basic Electricity in High School. There's no shame in being green. But also I google most things before I ask. Unless it's something I know one of the gurus here will give the 100% correct answer to within a half hour, then I may save the headache of wading through questionable internet data (we're really in a data age, not an information age).

This guy seems maybe older than 15 but it's never too late to become a gearhead.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I thought that the reason for this Vintage Mustang Forum was to assist those less knowledgable than those who have been been there, done that.

Reactions: 289vert

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Don't sell your old fan and spacer ... cos that e-fan ain't gunna do the job.
First rule, don't get rid of anything.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
I thought that the reason for this Vintage Mustang Forum was to assist those less knowledgable than those who have been been there, done that.
I'm all about helping out, but some of the comments don't make since, aka seems trollish. Have you read the first page?

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
First rule of asking for help: people help those who display the willingness to help themselves.

If you ask us how to loosen a fan belt, you are exhibiting no drive to figure it out, either through self actualized research that doesn’t require a human to feed it to you, or some basic mechanical comprehension.

Put another way, free help on a forum isn’t a right. You have to earn it, even if it’s at a very superficial level.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
First rule of asking for help: people help those who display the willingness to help themselves.

<He did, bought wrenches and got some soap.>

If you ask us how to loosen a fan belt, you are exhibiting no drive to figure it out, either through self actualized research that doesn’t require a human to feed it to you, or some basic mechanical comprehension.

<I know a lot of people totally devoid of any manual ability, no reason to ostracize them.>

Put another way, free help on a forum isn’t a right. You have to earn it, even if it’s at a very superficial level.

<Help is here for those willing to freely give it and besides he has not been here long enough to earn anything except compassion.>
NRN

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
That’s quite a charitable outlook you have there, kechke. Suffice it to say, I don’t share that position, but you’re certainly welcome to yours.

You may think my standards are too high, but 99%+ of posters meet my criteria. The remaining 1ish% usually fail to become meaningful contributors.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
Standards? What standards? It's a free internet forum. There's no bar to pass or entrance exam. If you can communicate a little in in English and have a verifiable email address you can join. And as long as you don't spam, scam, break the rules, or manage to otherwise offend a lot of other members, you can stay.

Picking and choosing which posts to read and/or reply to is just one's personal choice.

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
Standards? What standards? It's a free internet forum. There's no bar to pass or entrance exam. If you can communicate a little in in English and have a verifiable email address you can join. And as long as you don't spam, scam, break the rules, or manage to otherwise offend a lot of other members, you can stay.

Picking and choosing which posts to read and/or reply to is just one's personal choice.
Well of course, and I never implied otherwise.

What I was getting at is that you get out of it what you put in, in a matter of speaking. To give a hyper-specific example, I drew the line at how to loosen fan belts. That doesn’t mean I give a hoot if someone else chimes in with assistance there, the conversation had just passed my personal threshold.

If what I said came across as an edict for forum policy, that was not my intent. It was based more on a couple decades of observation. Not a darn thing wrong with inexperience, but if the desire to learn (and do independent research) isn’t demonstrated, people tend to bail on the conversation.

I was trying to define the attitudes, behaviors and beliefs that steered this thread the way it went.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
To the op, buy yourself one of these. I bought this with the very first paycheck I got after paying my mom back for my 68 mustang. That was about 26 years ago. It'll help with the basics. I used to sit and read it while doing my morning business.

Edit: It was the only one I couldn't get rid of when we moved to MN. Its got to much sentimental value.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts