Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With God as my witness, I'll never do floor pans again (on my knees shaking a turnip at the sky). Man o Man, all this work and now I'll cover it up. After doing my first pan I felt proud. Look how solid, look how clean, think of the money I saved doing my self. After the second pan I thought, I sure am tired of this cutting wheel, at least my welds are getting better. After the 3rd pan I wondered if I couldn't have just fiberglassed this one. After the 4th pan I wondered if my knuckle was broken or just chipped. Good God! I guess I'm glad I saved the ole car. But I'm really thankful that my convertible doesn't appear to need any of this drudgery. Well, it doesn't appear to. Both my knees have been hurting for 3 days now from spending 4 hours last weekend on them on concrete drilling, cutting, then welding. And I know I need to get under the car and clean up what I've done from there.

I've got a friend with a 70 coupe that has been asking me if I would do his pans. Well, tough cookies. Maybe for $1,000, but he'd balk at that and then we wouldn't be friends anymore.

I actually enjoyed replacing the battery apron, and I'm looking forward to patching my radio hole and even working on the holes where the vinyl top rusted out the roof. But this crawling around, kneeling and bending at the waist for 4 weeks BS just blows!

MAN I'M GLAD THAT'S BEHIND ME!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129085&Sequence=3&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to go thru the same stuff with the Conv. You are not cheering me up here. Im sure I will feel your pain.

65 Coupe (The Toy)
68 Coupe (Son's)
2000 GT Conv. (Wife's)
66 Conv. (New Project)
http://www.zing.com/picture/p3228deeb98049833a72408c1fb0889a9/fec469a8.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
kinda get a little admiration for the guys that have ta do it everyday ,huh? Hope you don't have ta do any "under dash" work.... the seat pans hit just about the middle of the back... Don't think we were mean't ta bend that way?

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Oh come on. Floorboards are easy...if you have a plasma cutter. *hehe*

Next time put that car on jack stands. Then again, you'd need some tall jack stands with your height.

If I were you, I wouldn't even pull the carpet up on that convertible. You don't want to see it.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
291 Posts
When it's all said and done the pans are what you will remember most. I know mine were. Isn't that part of it, the experience the memories, the aches pains blood and sweat.

·
Registered
21,017 Posts
I wonder if this is how a lot of shops started out? Wanna buy a clean dash out of a 65? It's only the sheetmetal section, no extras.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Reading that post really doesn't make me want to do my floor pans, but I have to. I just bought a gas mig welder and I'll be starting to practice my welds hopefully this spring. I've got everything I think I need, except the time. To many projects!

67 V8 coupe (under restoration)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually it's funny you mentioned that. I pulled my main harness out last night and you're right, the seat pan is a perfect torture devise.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129085&Sequence=3&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, hey there plasma boy! I guess you rich guys will always have it easier than us down in the trenches wrenchers.

66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Man you really cheered me up with that one. I just ordered my new pans from Matt. Guess I better get ready.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
911 Posts
Here's a worst one for you. I bought my car and it had new pans in it. But the drivers seat sits on a anoying slope towards the drivers door. After hunting for the cause, I think they welded in the pan wrong and/or the seat riser. So I am going to have to cut the welds on the seat riser and try and lower it and hammer it so it sits level. Now that sucks to have to go back and re-do someone elses crappy work.

Kory

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
OK pipe down you guys - you're going to depress Midlife !(and all those welding classes will go for naught) *G* Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
391 Posts
My vert, checked by experts, was a "very nice driver with almost no rust." Well, we use one of the floor pans as a spaghetti strainer. It must have a thousand pin holes. Media blasting, like sunshine, sometimes reveals truths you may not be prepared for.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=46316654&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
cool rotisserie - where did you get it?

TIA
Ron

1966 Fastback - in a million pieces - wait a minute - where are the floors???

My favorite bumper sticker - "He who dies with the most toys, wins!!!"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not my rotisserie, but it is home made.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
one of my first projects on mine. Pans are due in next 2 days and now I read THIS....you are a pillar of hope! Passion is the word that keeps coming to mind.

G

·
0 Posts
If the general idea of being done wrong doesn't bother you too much and the floors are structurally sound, maybe you can fix it by shimming the seat on the driver's door side. You could put shims between the seat track and riser. After cutting out my risers to lower the seats, I wouldn't relish the thought of doing it again.

Greg
'66 coupe

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You sure make floor pan replacement sound like fun! I can't tell you how thankful I was when I pulled the original carpets out of my 69 convertible and found nice, shiny floor pans. With regard to your friend with the 70 coupe, you need to develop your supervisory/teaching skills. Let him use your equipment and give him guidance but make him do the work. That is unless the friend is an attractive woman, then just do the floor pans yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts