Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking with my best mustang guys and a local brakes shop, concensus is that I have frozen or sticking pistons in my Stainless Steel Brakes Corp front disc brakes calipers.

IIRC I could get the rebuild parts from SSBC for about $60, but I've been told that if they are really frozen this can be tough without the proper tools... IMO the better option is to have SSBC rebuild them for me for an additional $20 per side.

This is much cheaper than what I thought I was facing: newly rebuilt stock calipers from NPD are $150 each, and new SSBC units much more than that.....ouch!

So, one more little project. Remind me, brakes are kinda important, right ? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Wouldn't you know that the front calipers were one of the only areas of the car that I did not replace or rebuild the first time around ! Dickson

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AFAIK all internal parts on the SSBC units are stainless. However, since they do offer rebuilding service on their own units I guess that freezing/sticking of pistons still occurs (less than stock cast iron units, I guess).

SSBC quoted me $50 per caliper to rebuild them, so around $100 plus shipping total if all goes well. Plus the cost of some line wrenches (which I've needed) and a new fill of brake fluid ! Dickson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts