Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done it. With two coworkers, we're taking Wed, Mar 8th off and headed to Willow Springs to spend a day opentracking it on the big track. Sales office stated one could put 200 miles ont he car in a day and that I may never autox again. This event is being put on by opentrackracing.com. They claim to have many spots open, so come join us!
:biggrin: :track: :biggrin: :track: :biggrin: :track:

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Just remember if you are driving the pony out.... you have to keep it together to drive it home :)

You will love it. I know I did the one time I did it. I just had a small technical difficulty, but the one 20-minute session I did get in was enough to keep me smiling through the rest of the weekend. ...and into the tear-down.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Gonna have to change your username! Oh, you're in for a real treat! Some people find that driving at speed on a race track sounds great in theory, but the reality isn't their bag :horror:. Something tells me that you WON'T fall into this category!

200 miles in a day can definitely be done. Just make sure your braking system is in tip-top shape. Bring along an extra set of pads (unless yours are new) and I'd recommend flushing the fluid and replacing with a good, high temp brand (you'll need to start another post - everyone has their favorite!).

Good luck and, although I don't need to say it, be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good luck and go in with open expectations. Your Auto-x experience will help with car control but don't be surprised if a bunch of Miatas pass you. I'm assuming you know how to prep your car but remember to check your tire PSI, lug nuts and drink lots of water even if it is a cool day.

My first track day hooked me so bad that I've never gone back to Auto-x and I converted my daily driver to a dedicated track car and got my SCCA and NASA comp. licenses.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the encouragement from all of you.

Brakes are definitely on my mind. I need to flush them this weekend. Pads are a good idea. I need to wash the car and review my supplies.

Secondly, I think my autox and demolition derby experience will both be great aids... :horror:
Do you guys still think that the Miata's will pass? ::

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
The spec miata's will ;>0, may really depend on the track itself.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Now lets all sing along:
"And another one bites the dust..."

I still remember the first autox I was invited to run in. I had a blast; but knew right away that the short run times were not enough. And then I got a ride at a Shelby Club opentrack event in a 1965 Shelby "R" model #03 ... I thought I was going to die right there on Seats Point Raceway. From that day on I did everything I could to get a classic Mustang out on track!

The most important thing to do (and we have no doubt you will) be safe and have FUN!

CSGTJoe

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Steve Just make sure someone takes a photo of the grin :D on your face after your first session theres nothing like it.

You will be hooked, it will keep you coming back for more take up your time spend your money but it will all be worth it.

Have a great time.

Mark

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Good luck, have fun (like I need to say that :winkgrin:) and report back!

I hope to be able to get mine on the track this year too, still have a few things left to do. Autocross will have to do till then.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Steve,

I've got a hunch that you will be hooked. Willow is a nice track and fairly close by. Make sure you and your partners take some pictures up in the classroom area, great view of the track from there.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

RJ

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the encouragement and replies.

Received an email from the host today as he's asking for us to spread the word. Spots are open!

Come join me playing hookie for the day!

Play Hookie at Willow Springs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts