Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to Les Schwabb today, so they could take a look at the front end and try to diagnose my steering problems. The guy came to me a little while after I dropped it off, and really confused me. He said that he took a look under the car, and couldn't touch it. He said something about an aftermarket weld on the right idler arm (I think he said it was the idler arm) as the reason. And I think he said my pitman arm bushings were gone. He didn't test the steering box, cause he didn't touch anything. He said I'd have to get the weld thing fixed at a frame repair shop. When I asked if he could jot it all down real quick, he told me he couldn't. He was acting weird, and said that he never saw my car, like a cloak and daggers kind of thing. Like he was just pretending it didn't exist. Could this maybe be because some previous repair has made it legally unroadworthy? It was really weird.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That is one weird conversation. Why would an idler arm be welded? Why would you need to take it to a frame place to be fixed? Just replace the idler arm. I do not think he either explained himself well or maybe you did not fully understand what he was saying. Take it somewhere else and have them look and show you what if any problems there are.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Perhaps the idler arm BRACKET was at issue and may have become loose. You should put the car up on stands and take some detialed pics so we can help you out ;)

·
Registered
36,579 Posts
Sounds like old Les has been smokin' the drapes! I'd stay away from the chains and find a different shop. Ask the pro's at the auto parts stores who the best front end shop in town is.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Get a second opininon and be glad this guy DIDN'T touch the car.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Like the others said, just go somewhere else. This guy sounds like an idiot. For him to not write down what he found, so you could go to a frame shop and pass along the info, is just crazy.

With luck, some simple welding any your ready to fix the other stuff and get her handling like new.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
you could jack up the front and throw yourself under it and check that weld. If it's there. I don't know. Do have someone else look though. Pics pics pics.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember, this was only what I think I remember. I'm not familiar with all the front end terminology, and I easily could have gotten some words mixed up. What I know I remember for sure was :
That he said he didn't, couldn't, and wouldn't touch it.
There was an aftermarket weld on a right arm, which was a reason he couldn't touch it.
He said I'd have to get it fixed at a frame repair shop.
He said some bushings were basically not there anymore.
My front tires are worn.
He also said that the steering slop could be from the power steering, but he didn't actually dig around, so I don't know how sure he was.
He really wouldn't elaborate or repeat anything he said. He also refused to write any of it down.
At the end, he said (as best as I can remember) "Basically, this car can't exist to me". Like it was against the rules.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,823 Posts
Confuses me a bit too. A car that needs repairs? "Oh horrors, what will we do?" Sheesh, most shops would gleefully be writing up a big old estimate list if it's all that bad. I suppose that he had his reasons but sounds to me like the guy's some kind of flake.
Oh, and so what if the parts are worn out? There are very few parts under the front of a Mustang that aren't widely available and fairly easily replaced by even a half-competent repair shop. (Or even by the owner himself)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is it just me or does that sound really suspicious.. I mean it almost sounds like they did something wrong with the car and wont admit it.. When I worked at a shop.. we HAD to write everything down whether we could do the repair or not.. And if a customer didn't understand we HAD TO show them the damage to be repaired.. I would get the car checked ASAP, the only thing I can think of up front that would need to be welded would be the Lower Control arm frame mount.. I could see them getting scared if they lifted the car and saw the LCA comming off the frame, just having the car in the air could be dangerous at that point..

AJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts