Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there ya have it........

I decided to hit a couple of roof spots again before I went with the epoxy.

And Ive been doing so well with my mig!!

You guessed it........found a hole that quickly grew to about 3/4" round, decided to back it and fill with wire............have gas, set mig to "A" nice and slow. Spotted, cooled, spotted.............blah, blah...........yeah, not so much.

My wife says that if I don't take the two 12" diameter bellies out of the top she's gonna paint them blue and landscape around them.........maybe a Koi or two as well.

I know that I could fill them with poly, the deepest one is about 1/4 though and I don't wanna put that much filler on the top if I don't have to.

So...........here's where I need the help. If you guys can give me some advice on how to pull those bellies back up that would be great. I know there's a plan with a shrinking disk..........I don't remember the location of the procedure though. I assume that I need to shrink the metal back down to bring the "sag" out of it...........is that right? I know that I probably won't get it totally out, but I can get it closer than it is.

Thanks guys..........never fear, I'll screw that pooch about 100 more times before I get the car done.

Like I said, first restore............not last.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Could always try just popping it out with a suction cup used for dents. If not I guess shrinking it would be the best way to go.

Reguardless I feel sorry for your dog :(

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Sorry about your trouble with "bellybuttons". Sounds like you may need to step away from the car for the evening...

I should let more seasoned body guys go first, but here goes... You can shrink the metal a bit by heating up the area with a torch, then pressing a wet rag on the area for a few seconds. This may allow enough shrinkage. If you can get underneath, a shrinking hammer on top with a dolly supporting underneath may be better, though. Let us know if you figure it out.
Daniel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the liner is gone.......as is everything from the doors back.

I have never done this kind of bodywork before........Im learnin on her, she's a good ole sport, even when Im stupid (reminds me of the wife). I know she'll get fixed, I just need to learn how to do it right.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Don't let your wife read this thread!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see? thats what Im talking about. What I meant to say was that the car is as forgiving when Im stupid as my wife is.......but it sounded like i was calling my wife old. She's a couple of years younger than me so she aint that.

anyway back to my pet fubar of the day, the dips are basically a figure 8 with the center being the welded area and the loops of the 8 being the "ponds" my wife ensured her fitful night of sleep by naming. lol
They are both about 12" in diameter, and they are below the curve of the top by about 1/4 inch at the worst part. The weld itself is about a heavy 1/16 low itself. (Im starting to think I made a small exsisting problem worse)

Am I understanding this properly? The dips were caused because the metal at the weld got too hot and expanded? If thats the case, why would I hammer and dolly the welded HAZ? Couldn't I just torch shrink around the welded area and see what the deal is?

Sorry for all the BS, but this is confusing the heck outta me for some reason. Maybe Ive read too much, but everything Ive read talks about taking high spots out with the shrinking........I dont have high spots, my problem is that the metal has dipped below the curve line in those "8 loop" areas.

I have the old oil can like most tops have, but my curve line is altered by the dips. They actually look quite like to divets on a golf course side by side. I can understand how that could happen, I just happened to get the metal to "dip" vice "bulge"?

Am I getting this or am I off the mark?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHA!! Fixed it (sorta), got alittle more shrinkin to do, but its VERY slight (<1/8"). I could fill it and shape from there I think, but that's not why Im doing this.

I cut (carefully) the patch out, it wwas a pain to leave the weld fill I tell ya. From there I dollied the weld itself. That took most of it out. I still have a slight oil can between the two sides, but I think when I tighten up the pass side itll fix it........any ideas there?

I spent the rest of the evening getting the floor pans ready. Gonna patch the pass side and replace the driver's side to the seat riser.
Pass side is cut, fitted, primed, and top coated.......tomorrow Ill scribe the patch to the floor and wire wheel the weld seam to make sure I get a good bead.

productive day for me.......
Ill get some pics of the top and floor before I sew the floor up.

thanks and regards,
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts