Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,541 Posts
I guess Steve dropped the 16mm socket down into the bowels of his engine compartment and it happened to fall out while he was in ABQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
I found a 13/16 wrench on my C10's rear suspension about 2 years after I had worked on that area. It was on the upper spring bolt, I really tightened the crap out of that bolt and I guess that wedged it tight enough against the frame that it didn't fall out driving.


I put off installing the relocated shocks for a couple years because it's impossible to remove the factory shock mount rivets without removing the bed. My floor was rotten enough I decided to just cut through the floor to get the project done and I found it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
You do know that metric isn't allowed on the forum don't you? >:)

John

(Or at least on my Mustang) :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The 16 mm is a "cut and paste," just added to draw attention to my plight. Besides, I never use a 16 mm, so, if I wanted to photograph a socket, it's the one I'm least likely to have lost!!!

And I've never been to N.M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Plumbing pro tip: If you work with a lot of 3/8" stops, carry a 16mm instead of a 5/8". That way, the wrench still fits after the nut stretches a little thanks to the last guy that Godzilla'd the thing on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Ok, so I read through all the responses thinking I could jump in after figuring out the joke (as if I understood it from the beginning) but I still don't get it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's just an "argggggghhhh" moment from me. Dropped something and guess what?? IT'S GONE!!! Oh well, it' will turn up....eventually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
It's just an "argggggghhhh" moment from me. Dropped something and guess what?? IT'S GONE!!! Oh well, it' will turn up....eventually.
You don't know that true feeling until you've worked on a jet ski. I'm convinced at the bottom of the hull beneath the engine in every jet ski, there's a full collection of bolts and nuts. At least there is in mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
The first time my 68' Mustang was at all driveable on a public freeway this past April of 19.....it launched a wrench or some tool from the chassis at 70 mph about 10 miles to my father's house and made a huge BANG-CLACK sound I'll never forget. Just as I was getting comfortable that all major components were going to be holding out after all. Stopped, got out, saw nothing, heard nothing. But man did that scare me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
You do know that metric isn't allowed on the forum don't you? >:)

John
I thought they allowed metric clocks and calenders here.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,327 Posts
One of the sounds that brings joy to my heart is the little thunk a dropped tool makes when it hits the concrete floor after all the cling/clang pinballing through the engine compartment. Means I have a 98% of finding it. The other 2% are the ones that roll underneath the nearest dark cover to hide forever.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,085 Posts
I bought my snow mobile brand new in 16 and last year pulled the muffler off to replace the pull cord and lo and behold there was two extra muffler springs and a 10 mm socket laying in the belly pan.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top