Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a newbie mustang owner. Just bought a very well-kept '66 High Country Special and just love the thing. Take it for a drive virtually every day, you know, to the post office, to the bank, to the market...etc.

So, the wife and I decided to go out to dinner last night and we take the stang. Unfortunately the restaurent we want to go to is closed, but I pull up to check the hours for the next time.

Get back in the car, and as I'm pulling away, I completely forget that theres a curb right in front of the left side of the car.

It's a little peninsula, and I'm very close to the end of it, so I pop-up on the front right wheel, and as I'm coming down the front, I hear a nasty scraping sound before popping up on the right rear wheel, and then I'm back on flat land again.

Sick feeling in my stomach and I think, "What have I done??".

Well, I lean out the door afraid of what I might see underneath and really only see a bit of a scrape and dent in the left side main frame rail. So, we go off to dinner and I figure I'll check it out further when we get home. On the way to the restaurant, it seems to drive normally....you know, nice and spunky.

Once at home, I look more closely, and it appears the only damage is to that frame rail. It's scraped and dented, but that's all I can see.

Do I need to be concerned about this? Should I put it on the ramps and take a closer look? No (new) fluid leaks have shown up. Am I just being a paranoid weany??

Thanks for your insights.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Its not clear what you damaged. Mustang has no frame rails but has subframes. Of these, there are front and rear, drivers side and passenger. Best bet is to have someone knowledgeable look at it to determine the extent of damage. Chances are there's no serious damage but its just a guess. Better to have someone qualified take a good look.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Ouch! I feel for you, Bruce. Doesn't sound too serious, though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the nomenclature problem. From your description, I would say the damage is to the front driver's side subframe....

I'm definitely going to take your advice and have someone take a good look at it.

Thanks!

Bruce

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feel for you man. I'm somewhat new also, got my 65 coupe at christmas, hope i never experence that day like yours and get that sick feeling to my stomach.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Never hurts to crawl under there yourself first and visually inspect everything - I'd look at the steering linkages and driver's side control arms, etc. especially. Might also want to double check the front alignment.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. Crawl under there and take a look -- my guess is that you'll see that all the subframe rails have minor dents and dings from all the years of use. Curbs, careless jacking, road debris, etcetera. If the new scrapage is worse than the old stuff, you might take it to get checked out. Otherwise, probably nothing to be too worried about.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Maybe your inner rackers?

I dented mine up by jacking up the car the wrong way. I wouldn't worry about them too much. For years my car was missing the inner rocker on the drivers side completely...

http://kastang.tripod.com/pictures/65mustang/rust/rust13.jpg

Slade

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the posts everyone. I just took the car to the body shop I trust and the owner said he wouldn't worry about it. He's seen worse and said it's very common for the subframe rails to be pretty beaten up. I'm still going to try to get a photo to post, just so I can get your feedback.

BTW, the inner rackers look fine.... It's definitely the front driver's side subframe rail.

Thanks again,

Bruce

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
comes with the territory , both of mine are dinged up a bit.... its funny a few days ago i was in my gf's 66 that she recently bought. we were at arbys and she was backing out of a space and hopped the right front wheel onto the curb and off, i gave her hell for it. worst case scenario, your alignment may somehow get out of wack.. just check all the stering linkage, tie rod ends, etc. you should be just fine. hehe bet youl be more careful now !

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have done something like this once to my '67 hard top Mustang I once had. I turned off a busy road in to a crumbling parking lot where the trasition from the road to parking lot was steep. My car bottomed out, putting a huge dent on my driver's side floor support. I was bummed out and did check for further damage. It is a good Idea to check your undercarriage when stuff like this happens, especially with the low-sitting unibody cars like an Mustang whether it is vintage or new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts