Vintage Mustang Forums banner

I'm the KING of 302's

605 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CAponyboy 
#1 ·
Well, maybe not. But I currently have 3 complete 302's and an open block with heads....and none of them run. The fancy 302 with the 351W heads has turned out to be a major disapointment as the block looks like someone barfed in it. Problem there is the water ports between the piston cylinders don't match between the block and head.

I found a quick fix solution to speed up the project....maybe. Co-worker has a running 302 from his 81 T-bird he will give me for helping haul the car to the scrap heap. It is a carburated engine with 79k miles on it. Since the engine is free, I can't pass that deal up. If it definately runs, slap it in the coupe till I get a better engine built for the car. Meanwhile, the engine rebuild $$$$ could be used elsewhere to get the project rolling quicker. I could still put headers and the 4V carb on it and net just a little more power for the time being......I just dont know yet...At minimum, the project is still at least a year away from an engine.

#2 ·
You ever figure out what block that is? My guess is the 79-80 Mustang "255". That's all I can think of. I have 3 302's, one 5.0, and 4 351W's laying around. I looked at all of them and the water passages are all the same, none like your oddball motor.
The make-do motor sounds like a good idea. I plan to do the same with a 351W. Don't invest any money in the make-do motor parts if they won't transfer over to the "good" motor. The 4BBL and manifold idea sounds like a winner. This method won't work as well for me as my "good" motor will be turbocharged.
I won't say anything about the "king" bit. You just know some Whizco or another will chime in about having 8 or 9. ; )

#3 ·
Gypsie, the block has a number of 1E28L stamped on a raised flat spot ahead of the left cylinder bank on the front of the engine. That is possibly telling me its a May of '71 built engine according to my book. I may be wrong though. I cannot find any other numbers on the block, anywhere. I do have another "open" 302 block, which is older and the water ports are identical to this one. So the 351w heads wouldnt fit that block either. I'll keep looking and we will get something figured out. I owe you that dollar now for the investigative research you did, hehe.

#5 ·
Look for the casting numbers just above where the starter bolts in. A little dirt will easily hide them. I still can't believe all those people who have swapped heads around have never run into this water passage problem.

#6 ·
As far as the water passage problems I think Gypsy is on to something.....late 70s to early 80's blocks had smaller and different water passages..(i believe engineers did this to make the engine run slightly hotter for emission purposes)

Two toots....you are better off running a C80E 302 block for those D00E 351W heads. Now these will bolt right on.

I know free is hard to pass up....but to get rid of the stuff you don't want is a pain!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.