Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, this is not a substitute for a seriously compromised steering wheel with large cracks or separation especially in the center . Don't play games with your safety !

While my son and I are fixing up his '66, we were getting rid of the old (very smelly) steering wheel cover and confirmed the discolored steering wheel has minor cracks. We're going to eventually replace it with a woodgrain wheel anyway, but until then I wanted to improve the looks and the grip a little and the slip-on steering wheel covers available at stores just don't impress.

For just a couple of bucks we got a 4 inch wide self-adhering athletic bandage, and the roll was long enough to tightly wrap the wheel two complete rounds. The grip was GREAT and instantly improved the looks. I shot the wheel with some spray lacquer, we drove the car and it didn't come off. This is a mod I will probably use on other cars... it is cheap, easily replaced and instantly improves the grip, and I can see where this would be great for a track car. Enjoy!

Edit: I have no idea where the Emoji came from

Attachments

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks nice. I fear my hands would make it dirty in about 2 trips.

Prior to switching steering wheels I used a sew on leather wrap on my stock black wheel and it looked and worked great
The one in your link is what we took off. It smelled like A§§ with a side of roadkill from the years of dirt and sweat etc in it, haha ! !

This stuff is grippy, but dirt cheap and could be easily disposed of, ideal for temporary use to give SUPER control, protect a nice wheel or just cover the ugly for a while. There were 4 colors...tan, black, white and (yes) pink.

·
Dimples
5,658 Posts
That looks nice. I fear my hands would make it dirty in about 2 trips.

Prior to switching steering wheels I used a sew on leather wrap on my stock black wheel and it looked and worked great for years. It was the non-perforated stuff, kind of like this:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/real...Zdcg2VhRRxiAK8DaMS2-HqPcox_CEPPBoCYyMQAvD_BwE
I had something similar when I was still running my stock wheel. Had it on there for 15 years and it looked (and smelled) new when I took it off. It was a huge improvement over the stock too-skinny wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts