Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site and wanted to try to tap into everyone's vast experience of how they can get a little bit more performance from a 6 cylinder 2 Barrel 66 Mustang? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I might be able to walk faster than that thing goes. Don't get me wrong I love my car, but she just looks great and it's not very Snappy. I looked at the Holly sniper 550 - 552 for E FI And was wondering if anyone had any experience with that. I think that will just make it run better and have less hesitation , I do not believe that we will improve upon the horsepower just believes that it will eliminate the hesitations that it's known to have. I would love any suggestions that anyone has. Thank you in advance.

·
Dimples
5,853 Posts
Six cyl performance is a deep and expensive hole that’s easy to fall into. If it were me, I’d do a T5 swap and put steeper gears in it. That’s the best way to wake up the seat of the pants feel.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
94 Posts
So its already been modified to take a 2 barrel? If so, that's about it on the induction side unless you want to start spending some bucks. Headers will help some but I agree with Blake about the T-5 but with the six cylinder rear-end you will be limited to a 3.20 ratio. A cheap upgrade that will help is a Duraspark swap. When you start modifying a six, you have to be careful or you will end up spending a ton of money. I can speak from experience. Upgrading the suspension and brakes 8 will also help with drivability.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I were you, I'd save for a V8 swap. thats only way to make power at a reasonable price. The 6 can make power, but its extremely expensive and in my opinion not worth it. (dead platform, hard to find and expensive parts) Enjoy the 6 for what it is while saving up for a V8. When the time comes, yank that sucker out and move forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So its already been modified to take a 2 barrel? If so, that's about it on the induction side unless you want to start spending some bucks. Headers will help some but I agree with Blake about the T-5 but with the six cylinder rear-end you will be limited to a 3.20 ratio. A cheap upgrade that will help is a Duraspark swap. When you start modifying a six, you have to be careful or you will end up spending a ton of money. I can speak from experience. Upgrading the suspension and brakes 8 will also help with drivability.
Thanks JMP
Just starting out, but how do I find out more about a T-5? Yes it's currently a 2bbl. You hit the nail on the head, I was looking for inexpensive fixes. Seems like with the 6 it would take more or an equal amount to get a 289, then I still have to change the rear end to 5 and front 5, right? So not being a wizard in this stuff if I wanted a wee bit faster save for a 289 4 bbl, but if I wanted faster then a bigger engine and most of my 401K? Maybe, I should steal a Shelby and see if the notice? 😉. Ohhh gosh, I wished I paid closer attention when my brother was doing all this stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were you, I'd save for a V8 swap. thats only way to make power at a reasonable price. The 6 can make power, but its extremely expensive and in my opinion not worth it. (dead platform, hard to find and expensive parts) Enjoy the 6 for what it is while saving up for a V8. When the time comes, yank that sucker out and move forward.
Thank you for your thoughts. I have no ide how much a crate 289 would be, but will look it up tmw. I just think that the differential must change and 5 on front and back. I believe my brain can afford my wallet, maybe I'll enjoy my 6 and not be breaking any land speed records. Hey, if you here a sonic boom in AZ it's not me!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Go to Modern Driveline. You can read all about the T5 swap.

65-66 Mustang 5 & 6-Speed Conversions - Modern Driveline

For now I would look at some simple improvements to the 6cyl. along the way you can upgrade the rear end, T5, and front suspension. The beauty of these is they will improve the drive and feel of the car, and when /if you Decide to swap to a V8 you haven’t wasted any money.

On your current 6 look at the carb. Post pics so we can see the set up. It is likely the cause of your hesitation. Add electronic ignition, Petronix or Duraspark work well.

Dual Exhaust helps a bit and will also work for a V8 except the H pipe.

One common issue is the head gasket. Modern gaskets are thicker than the original Ford one causing a loss of S can be solved by milling the head surface. Have you done a compression check to see the basic condition of the engine? If you need to pull the head for any reason, consider switching to a later “Large Log” head. It will breath better and support you 2V carb better. better Cam, and exotic options are available, but become pricy fast. Better to get this one running well, driving well, and enjoy it while saving up for a V8.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Does it already have headers too? A better distributor, 2 barrel carb and intake, header exhaust should make it a lot more fun to drive. It did for my Maverick which had a 200 inline 6. A solid cam would be next and adjustable rockers unless it has them. Some years and engines did and some didn't. Shave the head to bump compression up or install flat top pistons or maybe both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a lot thrown out here. A T-5 isn't going to offer much other than a little more out of the hole and cruiser gears.
Also you're looking at 2,000.00 at minimum for a T-5 change over. Modern Driveline is definitely a great recommendation, but their kits are 3,000.00+

As previously mentioned 6 cylinder performance is costly and few offer anything of real substance. At the end of the day you're stuck with 170CI or 200CI and without deep pockets aren't going to make even what the anemic 289 hipo makes.

If you're really committed to the straight six, Clifford Performance is likely your source.
Of course you're going to have to change the four lug to a five lug and at least an 8" differential just for starters.
This isn't to discourage you, but to give you the broader picture. The good news is there are plenty of V8 donor cars to pull what you need for the V8 change over. Also the replacement parts will be right off the shelf or Mustang vendor catalog with a factory change over.

Here is the link to Clifford Performance to give you an idea of what is out there for the Inline six and the relative cost.
I certainly hope this is helpful in your endeavor. I am new here as well.
Best of luck and welcome!

Clifford Performance

Reactions: Russstang

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a lot thrown out here. A T-5 isn't going to offer much other than a little more out of the hole and cruiser gears.
Also you're looking at 2,000.00 at minimum for a T-5 change over. Modern Driveline is definitely a great recommendation, but their kits are 3,000.00+

As previously mentioned 6 cylinder performance is costly and few offer anything of real substance. At the end of the day you're stuck with 170CI or 200CI and without deep pockets aren't going to make even what the anemic 289 hipo makes.

If you're really committed to the straight six, Clifford Performance is likely your source.
Of course you're going to have to change the four lug to a five lug and at least an 8" differential just for starters.
This isn't to discourage you, but to give you the broader picture. The good news is there are plenty of V8 donor cars to pull what you need for the V8 change over. Also the replacement parts will be right off the shelf or Mustang vendor catalog with a factory change over.

Here is the link to Clifford Performance to give you an idea of what is out there for the Inline six and the relative cost.
I certainly hope this is helpful in your endeavor. I am new here as well.
Best of luck and welcome!

Clifford Performance
Thank you Capt Kent. That puts things into prospective. I hadn't pondered a donor V-8.
What aircraft do u fly?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thank you Capt Kent. That puts things into prospective. I hadn't pondered a donor V-8.
What aircraft do u fly?
The Clifford link at the bottom of my post might be helpful in pushing you towards a donor car with a V8. It's a matter of transferring components for the most part.
Currently the 737-828.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As all of the others have posted even if you spend more money than you thought possible the 200 is NEVER going to have the power of a v8 for way less money.

I have a 67 vert 200/c4 it's The Money Pit in the showcase .I guess I'm one of the crazy ones on this forum as I like my 6 and honestley see no good reason to go to a v8 for myself.

If you want a fair improvement in your car for fairley cheap cost this is what I would suggest.

If the eng is in decent shape make sure the timing chain is not streched, install an electronic ign system. Install a header & exhaust system weather a dual or single & be did with the pathetic stock exhaust system.
You said you have a 2 barrel carb make sure it's in good shape. One of the best things would be a head up grade to even a stock large log head if you don't have one on there now,if you go there have it milled down to compensate for the new head gaskets.

It's a deep hole money wise & if you go there looking for v8 power from that 6 you will be disappointed in the end. The performance in my 6 with a sniper 2 barrel on a stock eng with a stock exhaust system was impressive.

Just know that with a v8 you have more power to start than the 6 & after you spend all that money you end up with less power than ( way less ) a v8 you spent that same money on. But you will spend the same money on the v8 car ( the parts sellers don't care if it a v8 or a 6)upgrades as on the six with the down side being the power.

But my vert is a lot of fun even with the six. Honestley if I were looking for v8 power I think I would just sell the 6 car & buy a v8 car, save your self a lot of work & looking for parts, because you will be changeing a lot of them. All though you could just stick a v8 in on all the 6 set up & change out parts as they break or you realize they are inadequate .

Welcome to the Mustang world & good luck.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
In most modern street driven vehicles that are being built now inline 4's, 6's and v6's are the norm. The V8 is what is going away in most everything except a very few cars and trucks. It is kind of the same for manual transmissions as I'm finding out looking for a good used car to drive.

The v6 is so pathetic that Nissan puts it in the GTR and the Nismo 3.8 litre GTR V6 is punching out 600 horsepower. The old saying there is no replacement for displacement is not true anymore. There is a replacement for displacement. Its boost. The Formula 1 FIA is so backward I guess that they decided to punish all the car teams by forcing them to build 1.6 litre v6's for their engines too.

The inline 6 produces a decent amount of torque and if you build one up right it can be as much if not more fun to drive than a stock 289 v8 and it is definitely something different. Different is nice sometimes. If you build up a good running inline 6 you might get more comments on it than if you just swapped in a 289. If you boost it properly it will likely outrun most all small block V8's if that is what you want to do.

These guys worked up a 200(7 main bearing block) that makes 200 or 205 hp and it is purty to boot. You can read what all they did here;
Six Appeal: Building a 200ci Inline-Six Engine for Today’s Driving

When I was in college my neighbor had a Chevy 235 inline 6 in his Chevy 2 drag car. It shook, rattled and thundered when he fired it up. It pulled the wheels 2 feet off the ground when he launched it. This was ages ago too. He outran most everything at the drag strip with that thing including small block and big block v8 cars except for purpose built dragsters which was not the class he ran in anyway. He helped me some with working up my 200 which was in my Maverick get me through college car.

Anyway, its your car so do whatever you want but I wouldn't automatically just yank out the 6 and chunk it in the corner unless you really do want to do the v8 conversion and if you do that it should be done right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As all of the others have posted even if you spend more money than you thought possible the 200 is NEVER going to have the power of a v8 for way less money.

I have a 67 vert 200/c4 it's The Money Pit in the showcase .I guess I'm one of the crazy ones on this forum as I like my 6 and honestley see no good reason to go to a v8 for myself.

If you want a fair improvement in your car for fairley cheap cost this is what I would suggest.

If the eng is in decent shape make sure the timing chain is not streched, install an electronic ign system. Install a header & exhaust system weather a dual or single & be did with the pathetic stock exhaust system.
You said you have a 2 barrel carb make sure it's in good shape. One of the best things would be a head up grade to even a stock large log head if you don't have one on there now,if you go there have it milled down to compensate for the new head gaskets.

It's a deep hole money wise & if you go there looking for v8 power from that 6 you will be disappointed in the end. The performance in my 6 with a sniper 2 barrel on a stock eng with a stock exhaust system was impressive.

Just know that with a v8 you have more power to start than the 6 & after you spend all that money you end up with less power than ( way less ) a v8 you spent that same money on. But you will spend the same money on the v8 car ( the parts sellers don't care if it a v8 or a 6)upgrades as on the six with the down side being the power.

But my vert is a lot of fun even with the six. Honestley if I were looking for v8 power I think I would just sell the 6 car & buy a v8 car, save your self a lot of work & looking for parts, because you will be changeing a lot of them. All though you could just stick a v8 in on all the 6 set up & change out parts as they break or you realize they are inadequate .

Welcome to the Mustang world & good luck. View attachment 798547

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
94 Posts
Agreed- you can just enjoy just enjoy the car as it is. That Six Appeal build is very nice but for the same money you can have a crate V-8 with a supercharger- being unique can get very expensive. I don't think Clifford has much if anything for the small six anymore- just the 240/300. Check out Vintage Inlines, they have quite a bit but before you fall in love with the aluminum head-it has been out of stock for a long time and has a long waiting list. Another option is to be patient and pick up the V-8 parts as you find them and just drive the car as it is in the meantime.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts