Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Time is not your friend.

I built a 6 cylinder 65 Mustang, but LONG ago, when parts were plentiful and cheap. Headers, 2V carb sets, (I had a 3 carb set up), 4 speeds, V8 front and rear ends, were cheap.

My best was a 13.85. at 99.2 at the traps. I was quicker off the line (weight delta) but eventually the cubes would win.

Put that in perspective, for BONE STOCK FACTORY TIRES, etc.

1969 Boss 302 14.9 @ 93.8
1969 Mach 1 16.09
1968 Shelby GT500 14.2 @ 99

There is no way I could attempt to put together that package today. Most of the gain was in the head and a clutch that would not slip. The car was lightened, but had a roll cage, had to wear a helmet, etc.

V8's, including 302, 5.0 are cheap if you spend the time.

But, unless you have a love for that car, by the time you put the $$ into a wild 6 cyl configuration or a build V8, you would be better served starting with a V8 based car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you Wayne,
I really appreciate the time that you spent to write this to me. Specifically when I started looking at the Holley sniper, I questioned if it was worth it and you said you've been with your 6 with the with the sniper on there and the standard exhaust is still going reasonably well. I understand totally that this is not going to be my 8-cylinder Corvette of the years past but it is what it is, it's a beautiful car it's in great condition it's completely stock minus the 2-inch radiator for Arizona Heat and the two barrel. So it's just a question from here at the most economical way to make it perform a little bit better and stop some of the hesitation and hopefully get a little bit more performance. If I had half a engineering background I would take a wrecked Tesla and put the Mustang body on that and then pay for it by racing people, LOL. Again thank you for the great advice.
Cool.. Southwest?
Bet your happy the dash 8's are back in service!
In most modern street driven vehicles that are being built now inline 4's, 6's and v6's are the norm. The V8 is what is going away in most everything except a very few cars and trucks. It is kind of the same for manual transmissions as I'm finding out looking for a good used car to drive.

The v6 is so pathetic that Nissan puts it in the GTR and the Nismo 3.8 litre GTR V6 is punching out 600 horsepower. The old saying there is no replacement for displacement is not true anymore. There is a replacement for displacement. Its boost. The Formula 1 FIA is so backward I guess that they decided to punish all the car teams by forcing them to build 1.6 litre v6's for their engines too.

The inline 6 produces a decent amount of torque and if you build one up right it can be as much if not more fun to drive than a stock 289 v8 and it is definitely something different. Different is nice sometimes. If you build up a good running inline 6 you might get more comments on it than if you just swapped in a 289. If you boost it properly it will likely outrun most all small block V8's if that is what you want to do.

These guys worked up a 200(7 main bearing block) that makes 200 or 205 hp and it is purty to boot. You can read what all they did here;
Six Appeal: Building a 200ci Inline-Six Engine for Today’s Driving

When I was in college my neighbor had a Chevy 235 inline 6 in his Chevy 2 drag car. It shook, rattled and thundered when he fired it up. It pulled the wheels 2 feet off the ground when he launched it. This was ages ago too. He outran most everything at the drag strip with that thing including small block and big block v8 cars except for purpose built dragsters which was not the class he ran in anyway. He helped me some with working up my 200 which was in my Maverick get me through college car.

Anyway, its your car so do whatever you want but I wouldn't automatically just yank out the 6 and chunk it in the corner unless you really do want to do the v8 conversion and if you do that it should be done right.
Thank you Wayne.
Time is not your friend.

I built a 6 cylinder 65 Mustang, but LONG ago, when parts were plentiful and cheap. Headers, 2V carb sets, (I had a 3 carb set up), 4 speeds, V8 front and rear ends, were cheap.

My best was a 13.85. at 99.2 at the traps. I was quicker off the line (weight delta) but eventually the cubes would win.

Put that in perspective, for BONE STOCK FACTORY TIRES, etc.

1969 Boss 302 14.9 @ 93.8
1969 Mach 1 16.09
1968 Shelby GT500 14.2 @ 99

There is no way I could attempt to put together that package today. Most of the gain was in the head and a clutch that would not slip. The car was lightened, but had a roll cage, had to wear a helmet, etc.

V8's, including 302, 5.0 are cheap if you spend the time.

But, unless you have a love for that car, by the time you put the $$ into a wild 6 cyl configuration or a build V8, you would be better served starting with a V8 based car.
Thanks Bob. Think your correct. How cool you did all that when you could. That is very impressive.. I just am dreaming of the possibilities. Its definitely not like getting certified for NHRA Super gas and Super comp. Tooooooo say the least. Maybe, I should just be happy with what I have, but there's a little lead foot left in me that questions it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In most modern street driven vehicles that are being built now inline 4's, 6's and v6's are the norm. The V8 is what is going away in most everything except a very few cars and trucks. It is kind of the same for manual transmissions as I'm finding out looking for a good used car to drive.

The v6 is so pathetic that Nissan puts it in the GTR and the Nismo 3.8 litre GTR V6 is punching out 600 horsepower. The old saying there is no replacement for displacement is not true anymore. There is a replacement for displacement. Its boost. The Formula 1 FIA is so backward I guess that they decided to punish all the car teams by forcing them to build 1.6 litre v6's for their engines too.

The inline 6 produces a decent amount of torque and if you build one up right it can be as much if not more fun to drive than a stock 289 v8 and it is definitely something different. Different is nice sometimes. If you build up a good running inline 6 you might get more comments on it than if you just swapped in a 289. If you boost it properly it will likely outrun most all small block V8's if that is what you want to do.

These guys worked up a 200(7 main bearing block) that makes 200 or 205 hp and it is purty to boot. You can read what all they did here;
Six Appeal: Building a 200ci Inline-Six Engine for Today’s Driving

When I was in college my neighbor had a Chevy 235 inline 6 in his Chevy 2 drag car. It shook, rattled and thundered when he fired it up. It pulled the wheels 2 feet off the ground when he launched it. This was ages ago too. He outran most everything at the drag strip with that thing including small block and big block v8 cars except for purpose built dragsters which was not the class he ran in anyway. He helped me some with working up my 200 which was in my Maverick get me through college car.

Anyway, its your car so do whatever you want but I wouldn't automatically just yank out the 6 and chunk it in the corner unless you really do want to do the v8 conversion and if you do that it should be done right.
Thank you Mac. I appreciate your thoughts.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts