Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some pictures of an in-dash single CD player installation for a 65-66. I'm thinking about hacking the dash (more than it is), putting it in the glove box, or putting it under the dash. I haven't seen a good aftermarket console that would look good enough, but that is also an option. I have a remote with my unit, but I don't really want to drive around with the glove box open all the time. My car is NOT original in the least, but it's clean and straight. Does anybody have pictures?

reedbr
'66 289/5sp

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You'll probably get responses before I can help you out, but I have an in-dash CD player in my 66'. It looks really good too. I won't repair the dash and go through all those changes until I do a full on rotisserie restoration in a year or two. I love the functionality of the more modern unit. Anyway, I can post a pic on Monday morning if it will help. Shhot me an e-mail request if you want to see it.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
1. I saw a neat idea awhile back. A guy took a removable face cd head unit, mounted it in his glove box, and then soldered a cable between the unit and the removable faceplate. Kindof made his own wired remote. Then he ran the cable under the carpet and it came out in between the seats.

2. Custom autosound is selling units that can be mounted anywhere and uses an RF remote (no line of sight needed).

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Go to my web site and click on the "interior restoration" pictures. There's a couple there that kinda sorta show the Blaupunkt CD unit mounted in my cut-out dash hole. The P.O. did a good job on the cutting, and I think it looks great.

Regarding glovebox mounting: I mounted a unit in the glovebox of my 71, I stuck a non-working AM-8track unit in the normal slot. It was a Sony unit that had a wired remote that controlled everything. I mounted the remote on the center console. This worked and looked great. Sony was the only unit I could find with a wired remote. All other remotes were IR, which would require the glove box to be open during operation.

Good luck

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
237 Posts
I saw what I consider the best setup yet... A friend of mine at work has a 64 Falcon Sprint and he kept the original AM in the dash (disconnected of course) mounted a nice kenwood in the glove box. His kenwood has an IR remote. Since we work in an auto plant and is an electrician...... He used a fiber optic cable (about as big around as a pencil) and made a small bracket under the dash (similar to that of a manual choke).. It is slightly visible and behind the dash to the glove box. There is another bracket holding the other end of the fiber optic pointing to the IR port on the radio.. Cd changer is in the trunk as is the amp... Remote sits on his console and works like a champ.. I thought is was a very neat and clean install.. Consider it before hacking up that VINTAGE pony!!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=698303&a=9602805&p=31656901&f=0.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Here is what I did: I bought the CustomAutoSound5, 100w unit with CD changer compatibility, thinking I would put in the CD changer later. 'Course, when I went down to RadioShack to get some electronic parts for the installation of the radio, I found a Kenwood 10CD changer on sale for $219. This unit works through an FM modulator that I mounted under my passenger seat with the cables from the CD changer (which I mounted on the back shelf of my trunk) coming in under the carpet in the sides of the wells in the rear. All I had to do was plug my radio antenna into the FM modulator and the antenna wire from the FM modulator into the radio. I got an infrared remote with the CD changer and I prefer that to trying to fat-finger those little tiny control knobs on the radio, so it all worked out better than getting a CustomAutoSound compatible CD changer (which would have worked via the tiny knobs). I can put 10 CD's into a cartridge and that keeps me going for awhile. The CD changer also has a level control that allows me to use much of the 100 watt power of the radio without an external amp (the radio has RCA pre-outs just in case I get jiggy and want to thump those kids off the pavement with The Beach Boys or Jefferson Airplane and get an amp later). For now, 100 watts is WAYYY to much for me...

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan-

I like that blue. My first '65 was that color, what is it called?

From what I can tell in the pics, your stereo installation looks pretty clean. I might be leaning that direction and skip the other games. Let me know if you have any more close-up pics. Thanks.

-Brian
[email protected]

reedbr
'66 289/5sp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts