Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to say that this life is kind of funny but today is not a funny day. The person in the photo below was Wayne. He owned and operated the Napa auto parts, taking it over when his dad retired. I use the word was because Wayne has moved on and is not with us any longer as of a day or 2 ago. He was way too young to go this way and a lot of people are going to miss him including me.

Wayne was one of those rare people, always upbeat, fast with a joke, do just about anything he could to help somebody out. His dad is very much the same which might explain a lot of why Wayne was this way.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
A good parts guy is invaluable. Heck, a good guy is invaluable. Sorry you lost a good guy in your life.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So sorry for your and your community's loss. People who own businesses, but always remember why and who they do it for, are what makes any community great. Hopefully someone can continue his and his father's legacy.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I used to work at an AutoZone store years ago, and there was an old Big A Auto Parts store next door, with the counter usually manned by one or both of a father-son duo. "Pop" smoked like a chimney, laughed with a wheeze, but man he knew his stuff. He was a real parts man in a real parts house and I knew I was just a kid working in a quick-rip that would eventually kill his business. And it did. He passed on, but I remember what it means to people to be a master of your craft and truly look out for people and get them the best deal you can on the best part you can find, even if that part is somewhere else. His son carried on for years, too, taking good care of lots of people and their vehicles that got them to work, church, market, and home again.
God bless the little man. -- Alan Jackson

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Epilogue

Wayne had a massive heart attack and died in the hospital which was providential because he was an organ donor. He was 47. The donor surgical team was able to keep him going until that procedure was done. Somebody at the funeral service said that considering Wayne was in the parts business that this made perfect sense which got a big laugh. Some of his organs, particularly lungs and kidneys have already been assigned to people and will save lives.

We filled a large church including the balcony. I felt sorry for Wayne's parents and his wife because they must have stood up front and hugged and shook hands with and talked with several hundreds of people. It took an hour and a half for everyone to pass by in the greeting part of the thing.

There was no shortage of Wayne stories for all his practical jokes and antics. I was the brunt of a few of those myself, LOL. His nickname was Opie. I asked him one day why and he said it was because when he was a little kid he looked a lot like Opie on the Andy Griffith show. He was famous or notorious for being a jokester and apparently it went all the way back to when he was a teenager. I think at heart, he still was even at 47.

He is going to be missed by many people but he is moving on to a better place and all the memories of him will never die. I just wish he could have been around to ride with me in my mustang when I get it back together but that is not going to happen now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts