Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 73 Mustang Grandé. I have a "bone-stock" 351Cleveland with a C4 transmission. My question is, what can I do to my car to get as much HP as possible without spending a lot of cash. I know, for sure, that I'm going to change the Carb from a 2v to a 4v. But, I dont know which carb. to go with. Edelbrock, Holley, etc??? I also know I'm gonna get headers, but, still havent made up my mind. So, I just wanted to know what you guys recommend. Thanks A lot.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
First, Welcome to the VMF you will get a lot of useful information here. Second, CHeck out the search feature on the site. This subject has been talked about quite a bit.
It is really hard to build a Cleveland and not spend some money. you have to decide what you want the car for and what you want it to do. some of the improvements you make to a C will hurt you in the lowend. They are big breathers.
Others will chime in but I would say the questions is "where do you want to go today"?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ah come on Tony . Tell him about going BIG BLOCK

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
WEEELLLLLLL Theres that too!!!!!!!!!!
We got the Big block holy molies, right Steve!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The 351c when properly running is a stong engine. If you havn't done a complete tuneup latly you may be suprised at what power you've lost. Also test the vacume advance on the distributor and make sure it is working. One thing you can do on the engine if you havn;t is convert it over to electronic ignition with a good coil.

the 4v carb will help a bit but the biggest increase would come by changing the rear end gears out and if you can afford it also add a traction-loc differential in. your probably running 2.8 rear granny gears, by going up to 3.2 or even a 3.5 rear end you will get a whole lot more of off the line power, at the price of milage and top speed (do you realy want to take your mustang over 100?). if it is an automatic then you may think of a shift kit for the transmission, This will make the shifting more crisp.

Headers and free flow exhaust will give you a modest power increase, they also make you sound a faster.

Assuming your car is not a posi you should have no problem lighting up the one wheel from a dead stop with ease. If your engine can't do that then you need to be finding whats wrong with your engine before you go trying to hop it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts