Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Looking for advice from the forum. My '66 hi-po is fairly solid, but it definitely needs some work to get it to the point at which I want it to be. With that said, here is a list of the tasks that I know I will have to do.

1. Replace floors, patch trunk, patch frame rail
2. Overall paint and body
3. Interior restoration
4. Transmission check (maybe just replace seals & adjust)
5. Go through engine and repair, replace and adjust as necessary
6. Detail engine compartment
7. New exhaust
8. Front & rear suspension check & rebuild if necessary
9. Tires

Here is my question: Assuming I can't weld, do body work or paint, but I can do everything else myself, in what order should these tasks take place? The body shop guy is coming tomorrow to quote me on the floors, trunk, paint and body. He can also do the engine, transmission, suspension and engine compartment detailing and I will probably have him quote it. What questions should I ask him? Is there anything I have left out? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The generally accepted order of restoration tasks is mechanical first, then body and paint, and finally interior. However you choose to approach it, interior should definitely be last so to protect the new interior from the dust and dirt associated with mechanical and body restoration.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
IIRC bodywork, paint, mechanical and interior.

·
Registered
446 Posts
always do go before show. Some of the items you do at once while improving the mechanical. detailing engine compartment when engine is out, doing exhaust after engine, etc.

I did mechanical, interior, and paint. I liked that order, but its up to you. Definatly go before show.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well I'm always doing this bassakwards but what I did was:

1: Rust repair

2: Replace entire brake system

3: Inspect fix other mechanicals

4: interior

5: Drive in comfort with a smile on my face while I save up for a paint job.

But I can weld myself so this won't really work that well for you. But my take on it is I spend my time inside the car and I can't stand smelly ratty interiors so that is what I want nice when I'm driving the car. Besides with my original ratty paint and nice torque thursts my car has a nice feel of a early 70's street racer.

Don

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My 68 was in very good condition prior to starting the resto. I'm planning a like new car from the ground up.

1. rear end rebuild/detail off car. remove everything under rear of car and media blast, then encapsulator and black semi-gloss. Re-install rear end and new springs.

2 drop the tranny for a rebuild and detail. re-install.

3. do basically the same with the front end as was done with rear.

4. no engine rebuild yet as motor is fine, but remove front fendors, hood, and detail front end.

5. remove front cowl and repair properly including encapsulator and detail.

6. strip the interior, primer.

7. body smoothing, prime and paint. Candy Apple Red.

8. interior work including a/c re-install and under dash detail including wiring harness. Install custom yet appropriate vintage interior.

9. polish, drive and enjoy.

After all that work I hope I'll have the nerve to drive it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts