Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an ongoing issue with my 289 running hot. I have searched the forum for possible answers and have done a few of the suggestions from other posts. To no avail.
My engine gets warm quickly then keeps rising to around 215. At that point I just bring her home.
I'm running a Griffin radiator with an electric fan and a Edelbrock water pump. My base timing is 8 and I'm pretty sure my idle mixture is okay.
My question is if the head gaskets are incorrectly installed what are the symptoms. I don't boil over and I don't lose any coolant.
I do live in Arizona and it's hotter than #$&^ right now.
I appreciate any input.

Kt

·
Registered
952 Posts
From the post I have read the average operating range is up to 225. You should definately do the candy thermometer check to ensure the guages are correct and that you know exactly where its operating. You could add a SW guage if you want a more accurate reading. I have not done that yet but I am seriously considering it at least for confidence in the system. You may also want to ensure your thermostat is 195 or maybe even a 180. As far as the head gaskets go that will take someone with alot more expertise than me!

G

·
0 Posts
Speaking of "book" knowledge only....

Installing the head gaskets backwards covers up some cooling passages making the engine run hot.

There are some tabs on the fronts of the gaskets that stick out beyond the head. If you can see them you are OK. If not, check the back of the heads. That would indicate a reversed gasket.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you need a temporary fix, try removing the thermostat entirely. If this seems to help, install a lower temp thermostat. It's not like you'll need your heater this summer!

Deathman68

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried removing the thermostat. Also used restrictor plates and a 160 thermostat. Nothing seems to help. Maybe this engine is way overbored. Should have "miked" it when I last had the heads off.

G

·
0 Posts
Incorrectly installed head gaskets would produce violent overheating(boil over) not just running hot. Change the t-stat to a Robert Shaw/Stant "balanced stat". Standard poppet valve stats do not work well with high volume water pumps

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx for all the replies. I kinda thought backwrds head gaskets would produce more severe symptoms than the ones I'm having.
Guess I'll just keep plugging away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for all the replies. I kinda thought backwards head gaskets would produce more severe symptoms than the ones I'm having.
Guess I'll just keep plugging away.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
DONT remove the thermostat...

even when it's open, it provides a restriction slowing coolant down so the radiator has time to cool the coolant. That's why they sell restrictor plates as a substitute for thermostats in race cars.

on a seriously hot day I'd shut down at about 230

Of course the thermostat could be defective.....I'm just saying taking out the thermostat is an error I've done before.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I purchased a Rebuilt 289 from an authorized Ford Rebuilder a found one head gasket was reversed. I drove from San Diego to Denver over heating any time the air temp exceeded 80, much worse than that as I crossed the Continental Divide. The previous motor was a much "hotter" setup and never got past 205 sitting in traffic, in summer, in a humid Houston TX. In Denver, I had the radiator rebuilt. On the way to San Antonio from Denver I only had moderately better exoerience, but it's basically down hill the entire way. Upon tear down, I found the one reversed head gasket, but also two warped heads.

Long story to say: One reversed gasket will lead to overheating..., and worse if allowed to continue heat cycling the heads. Check the head gaskets, you shouldn't be over-heating with the Griffin radiator. There are different diameter water pump pulleys; if you have a very small one, in theory, you could be drving the water through the radiator too fast-- but I seriously doubt that

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I noticed you're running an electric fan. Its possible its not able to draw enough air. Might want to consider a clutch fan setup with a fan shroud.

I run a hi-efficency 3 core radiator on my '66 with a clutch fan and I don't have overheating problems (other than myself getting HOT) in the AZ summer.

Another thing to check... I found after a few rebuilds my motor was scalling really bad and clogging up the radiator every couple of weeks. I used a gano filter for quite a while to get all the crap out. Might want to look inside the radiator and see if the tubes are clogged up.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
My vote confirms 289fan's. I am in the middle of swapping my heads from left to right for a broken Alternator bolt that I couldn't remove. Discovered I had installed the pass side head gasket backwards. I have had overheating problems anytime the air temp exceeds 80 - 85.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts