Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the older 9835/9855 series Alpine stereos and want to put one in my car when the time comes. I was looking at the repop radio bezel I bought and it looks like the Alpine bezel is a touch wider than it. Has anyone put an aftermarket Alpine or other unit in their 69-70 dash and come across this? Maybe a custom face plate?

http://www.innovativecaraudio.com/cda-9855.gif

·
Registered
374 Posts
Lucky me, I had my brother wittle out a bracket for my Pioneer and Vintage Air heater/AC control for my '70FB on his Haas cnc turning center. I'm about a month away from finishing the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know its kinda spendy but I went with the JMC radio bezel in my 70 conv. Holds an aftermarket radio with no problems! I think the piece costs about $350 though.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will have to ck it out. Got any pics?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
IIRC I cut my factory bezel and opened it up enough to fit the DIN size CD player. What I cannot remember is if I was able to keep the bezel all one piece or if I cut it in half. I'm 99% sure I was able to keep it all one piece, but it was really thin on the ends. The Alpine bezel covers up this thin area, making it appear to be two pieces. My only gripe is there is still a portion of the chrome raised edging left below the radio afterwords, so it still looks a bit out of place. My gripe about the aftermarket bezels made for a CD player is the raised chrome area is not even close and they are all black (no chrome). If you have deluxe interior like me then hacking the stock bezel is about the only way.

Edit: It looks like the JME one does have the option for woodgrain and does have the raised chrome trim. Still pricey IMO

·
Registered
8,661 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I love the older 9835/9855 series Alpine stereos and want to put one in my car when the time comes. I was looking at the repop radio bezel I bought and it looks like the Alpine bezel is a touch wider than it. Has anyone put an aftermarket Alpine or other unit in their 69-70 dash and come across this? Maybe a custom face plate?
I am just too cheap to spring $400 for a bezel, so here is what I did...

I got a basic reproduction bezel from NPD. It is made from a very strong/flexible plastic that appears to be almost nylon. I used a dremel to grind away the rough opening, then switched to a flat hand file. You need to actually thin the sides of the piece; once again the plastic is quite strong and flexible. I ended up thinning the sides by about 50%, at which point I was able to slide the Alpine unit in. Doing so bends/bows the piece a little bit, judge for yourself if it is worth $400 to put up with this...

Some random notes:

1) This is a 69, not a 70, and a different Alpine DIN unit. None of this should matter.

2) My car is NOT an AC car, but the original lower dash was butchered by a PO. I had a pristine AC lower dash available; my first thought was to hook the AC vents to the heater plenum, but my son suggested they would make a great stealth speaker install location... those are Infinity 3.5 inch coaxial speakers and work great...

3) I originally was going with the darker walnut trim; subsequently I switched to teak - but this is not reflected in the pictures...

Comments welcome...

Good luck,
-Rory

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am working on an idea that came out of my and two other friend's ideas. My stereo is completely remote controllable with a disc changer in the back. I pushed the new deck back into the dash and attached it with some huge hose clamps. I am mounting a piece of pexi-glass to magnets to connect to the dash metal. I will paint the inside of the pexi-glass a transparent black so the only thing you will be able to see is the lit up deck, the glass itself will be a nice glossy black.

Picture shown is the very first test run. ~tig

Attachments

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it just appears to be a little too wide for the factory bezel and I want to avoid the look that its "crammed" in place. Its not the unit itself, but the Alpine surround that makes it slightly bulge outside the OEM bezel. I think I read somewhere that someone left the stock unit in place and placed an aftermarket radio in the glovebox. Am not sure thats an option for me with the box as small as the 69-70.

Tig - post pics when you get yours finished

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Mike you don't have to install that surround from what I recall, assuming you are talking about the metal sleeve that the head unit slides into. IIRC that is more of a theft deterrent thing
Indeed I did not use the metal sleeve in my installation pictured above. Even without the sleeve the unit is too wide for the stock bezel and as noted above the sides need to be thinned.

There are few choices for aftermarket radios...

1) modified original radios with modern internals (or modern radios made to fit the original cutout)
2) hidden modern radios with remote controls
3) the $400 bracket for modern radios
4) a modern radio installed in the stock bracket.

With either option 3 or 4 you end up with an aesthetic clash; simply put a modern radio will never look "natural" in these cars. Note further that while seated in the car the radio is not quite as visible as depicted in the pictures above; the angle of the dash and the overhang of the dashpad both serve to block a head on view.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
My only gripe with using the stock bezel is that part of the chrome surround is still present above and below the CD/Player, as you can see in your first pic Rory. No way around it really with a stock bezel unless you ground it down and tried to paint it close to the woodgrain color. My install looks exactly like yours Rory, just with an old school Alpine.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My only gripe with using the stock bezel is that part of the chrome surround is still present above and below the CD/Player, as you can see in your first pic Rory. No way around it really with a stock bezel unless you ground it down and tried to paint it close to the woodgrain color. My install looks exactly like yours Rory, just with an old school Alpine.
I agree totally - and I even entertained the idea of grinding down the chrome too, just as you suggest. I do think the custom billet piece is a better look - the price is just outrageous. For $100-$125 I'd probably spring for it; for $400 I'll pass. The real joke is with my engine and exhaust system the radio sound quality really doesn't matter - if there were any decent AM stations left I would have kept the stock unit in there.

I'd love to see what the billet piece looks like with the deluxe wood trim and an Alpine; my intuition is the radio will clash/look crammed in anyway.

-Rory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts