Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Old Air performance air kit under the hood of my 67 mustang.
I am using a 1970 351 compressor bracket with my 289.
The out put connections are at the 4 o'clock position causing me to leak oil from the compressor.
Do I need to rotate the compressor to 2-3 o clock or is it ok for the oil to enter my system from my sanden compressor??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,804 Posts
The oil circulates throughout the system but I don't know if t's OK for the compressor ports to be below the centerline. I'd call Old Air or Sanden and ask them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil circulates throughout the system but I don't know if t's OK for the compressor ports to be below the centerline. I'd call Old Air or Sanden and ask them.
I will call Monday. you know how it is i found out my problem today and can.t rest until I know
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
550 Posts
I will call Monday. you know how it is i found out my problem today and can.t rest until I know
Please post their response. I'm interested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my
See the attached pic. This is from my CAA Sanden installation instructions. Hope it helps.

Rusty
I am at the 4 o clock position. My son is a certified welder I can modify the bracket to level out the compressor
Thanks for the drawing
Nick

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
597 Posts
Your Old Air setup didnt come with the bracket? Mine did, why not call Old Air and just get the bracket... would probably be easier, and correct

·
Registered
479 Posts
Two questions/observations re. Rusty's CAA diagram:
1. It looks like it's the centerline (which is the oil drain plug) that must be between the 3 and 9 o'clock position, which would put one of the ports around 4 o'clock, right? Otherwise, the instructions should be to keep the ports (not the centerline) between 9 and 3.
Didn't you say one of your PORTS is at 4 o'clock (not the plug)?
Yep, need to know what is correct.

2. Curious about their cautionary note to NOT shake, tilt, or turn the refrigerant can upsidedown while charging while the engine is running! Meanwhile, all the refrigerant cans have instructions that state that you're supposed to constantly shake/tilt the can between 9 and 3 o'clock positions WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. Am I misreading something?

See the attached pic. This is from my CAA Sanden installation instructions. Hope it helps.

Rusty

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
2. Curious about their cautionary note to NOT shake, tilt, or turn the refrigerant can upsidedown while charging while the engine is running! Meanwhile, all the refrigerant cans have instructions that state that you're supposed to constantly shake/tilt the can between 9 and 3 o'clock positions WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. Am I misreading something?
I’ve attached the rest of that note.

Rusty

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yah, I have seen those same instructions.
Meanwhile, heres what the side of the refrigerant can, r134a, says....
20200802_101357.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your Old Air setup didnt come with the bracket? Mine did, why not call Old Air and just get the bracket... would probably be easier, and correct
The kit was a replacement for the york compressor. It had a drawing two pages total ,no torque spec or diagrams where to drill the holes for the hoses through the radiator support. My bracket is from a 70-32 351 it lays back at a 45deg angle is not level with the hood line.This is what causing my problem is the angel of the bracket.

Nick

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just installed a vintage air kit on my 64 and was concerned about the compressor clocking. Sanden says the max you should have the compressor at is 3 o'clock. The vintage air setup puts the compressor at 3 o'clock before rotating the compressor for belt tensioning. I called vintage air, they said you can exceed 3oclock but try to keep it as close to 3 as possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please post their response. I'm interested.
I Texed Sanden a week ago I am still waiting for there 48 hour response!
I did pick up a 289 mount from "E" bay it arrived on Friday I cleaned it up and installed it the compressor now sits perfectly level were before with the 351 mount it was angled down. I believe the mount solved my indexing problems

Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts