Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this article about the Indianapolis 500 in 1964 and pace cars, written by some guy in Mustang Times, July, 1992. The name seems familiar, but I can't seem to place him in a concours setting... :rolleyes: :winkgrin:

Warning: large PDF file is linked.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
So where are those two convertible (real) pace cars now?!

John Harvey

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I always thought Dave's shop was known for their concours restorations. The new stuff is more my bag, but it looks like Dave's shop has always had excellent quality work.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sherman, set the Wayback Machine to 1992. Time for some ancient history. :horror: :rolleyes: :jawdrop:

Back in '92 I was writing for Ford and Mustang Trader and I was President of the Mustang Club of Indianapolis. The photos were taken from the previous year's show at the Speedway, in an attempt to generate interest in the Indy MCA National event. Must have worked, we had the largest MCA show up to that point!

Where are the convertibles? The one pictured is somewhere in Florida last time I heard. I personally inspected it and I don't think it was a real one (I also know the guy who built it). I do know where a couple of gennies are but they can't be bought - yet. ::

The Torino convertible was owned by a club member and went the way of the auction. Sigh... you can't keep them all.

I still do Thoroughbred concours restos, the problem is that the parts are just not available to do them anymore. I am doing my Boss 351 all the way, only because I have most ofthe trick stuff already. It will still take another 8-10 years to find the rest of it, if I can. :shocked2: :paranoid:

Neato blast from the past! Thanks for that!

Dave :: :biggrin: :highfive: :winkgrin:

G

·
0 Posts
Judging by the pics, that is definitely not one of the 2(or 3) track cars that paced the '64 Indy 500.

There were about 35 dignitary convertibles that were used to promote the race. These were nothing more than white 64.5 convertibles pulled from dealer lots. The only requirement was that they were V8's and had a red, white or blue interior. There are no identifying codes or info on the car to identify it as one of these 35 cars. Basically, all that happened was the Indy 500 pace car lettering was slapped on the side. Once the lettering is gone, no way to tell it was anything buy an ordinary Mustang.

Regarding the 2 real pace car convertibles... 1 supposedly was found and restored. The other has not been found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts