Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and other interested parties. There has been some discussion here and elsewhere regarding whether the 1968 models had 3-bolt or 4-bolt upper control arms. I can now definitively answer that question. *G* They had both! We just replaced the front suspension this weekend and removed the ORIGINAL UPPER CONTROL ARMS from the car. On the driver's side, the arm had 4-bolts and the ball joint had been replaced, which I remember was done in June 1975 (I still have the paperwork for the repair, BTW). On the passenger side, however, the upper control arm had 3-bolts! The bolts are riveted. Furthermore, the original Ford paper tag was still on the shaft. There is a date on the tag that reads "4/11/68." I have read many times that the 3-bolt arms did not appear until the 1969 models. IMHO, this is a fallacy based on this find, at least at the Dearborn factory. Yes, I took pictures, and I am keeping both arms in case anyone questions this find. Murphy strikes again!

"I love it when a plan comes together."

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

G

·
0 Posts
interesting find. i guess you put all 4 rivet design back on the car? did you buy NOS parts or reproduction control arms? The lowers are hard to find in good used condition and are about $800 for a pair of NOS. Pete Morgan will be taking his 67 convertible down there. Maybe he'll judge your car again.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is funny about this is that I only checked the passenger side before I ordered the arms. I went with the 3-bolt arms and now my friends are telling me I should have gone with the odd combination to remain original to the car. *G* I decided that would have been a bit much. Since I was replacing all four arms, NOS was just too much money with Trouble's drain on my finances. I went with Canadian Mustang parts as I can't tell them apart from the originals. I did sandblast them and repaint where necessary for the original look. They look great! I do have AMK fasteners on everything, too.

"I love it when a plan comes together."

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts