Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew (15) is looking at a 70 Cougar as his first car. I haven't seen it yet, but hope to before he buys it.

Is there any specific trouble areas that I should be looking for, other than the normal ones I would look for on a Mustang?

Are there any good web sites (or forums) for older Cougars?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

G

·
Hello,,,Jeff here,,,Cougars are the "Luxury" Mustang. I have always liked them,,,at least the 67-70 models.They have the same rust problems a Mustang has. Bad shock towers,Torque boxes,,,,Floors,,Etc.I personally think a 69 or 70 model can be built to be an "Oh-My-God,,,look at that!!" style of car with all the wheels and color combinations possible.There is no prettier Cougar than one with the solid White Leather interior. "Expensive but well worth it",,,,XR-7's had this interior in them.Cougars are basically a re-skinned Mustang,,,only better.Everything that fits Mustang mechanically,,,and a LOT of interior stuff too,,,will fit the Cougar.Make a Cougar that everyone wants....but rarely seen please. Think away from "Red with Black interior",,,too many of those. Wish you guys well.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Cougars share a lot of pieces with the Mustang, but there's quite a bit that's Cougar-specific and those parts tend to be expensive since many of them are not widely available. Still, the trouble spots are the same and there is repro sheetmetal available for the 69-70's thats's not available for the '67-8's.

Good resources are:

Cougar Forums - http://www.mercurycougar.net
Cougar Mailing List - http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/CLASSIC-COUGARS
Cougar Club of America - www.cougarclub.org

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Hey There!

I own a 70 XR7 Convertible, and love it. As the other poster stated, rust is an issue just like mustangs. Make sure you buy a complete set of shop manuals. The vacuum lines will drive you crazy if not in good condition.

Here's a classic Cougar website that is pretty good!

http://www.mercurycougar.net/

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
There's a lot more Mustang interchange in the 67/68 than then later ones. Because of the much smaller original sales and survival rate, the majority of parts not shared are not repro'd. You either need to get good used or NOS, in either case relatively expensive as compared to the 'stang.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You didn't mention if it's an XR7 or "standard" model, but on either one you want to test the headlight doors with the car running and with it off. Doors should open even when the car isn't running, but very often the vacuum tank or lines leak, so if it doesn't work with ignition off, that's one bargaining point you can make. also, rear turn signals should sequence - if they don't, you'll need to diagnose the problem, which could be something as simple as a bad ground wire connection, or the mechanical "brain" located in the driver's side trunk well, or the flasher can, which isn't cheap to replace. Next, if it's an XR7, it should have leather trimmed interior, XR7 badges, and the clock on passenger side of dash with XR7 emblem beside it, rocker switches on top center of dash pad, and XR7 gauges. The VIN should have a 93 in it as opposed to a 91 for the standard variety cougar, i.e., it should start something like 0F93. If you find a 91 VIN with an XR7 dash, BEWARE, someone along the way has installed the dash from an XR7 and may well have hacked up the wiring. Most XR7s had the console, and like the mustang versions, they are pricey to replace. Good luck, they're fun cars, and the 70, with that fang hood protrusion, is sure to leave some scar tissue on the back of your nephew's head until he automatically learns to duck under it while working under the hood.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow!

Thanks for all of the replys and info. The links will be most helpful.

Still haven't seen the car yet, but hope to this weekend. If I can't pursuade the kid to buy a Mustang, I guess a Cougar is the next best thing. ::

Thanks again,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts