Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am looking into buying a 1966 as a project car. It runs, doesn't have bad rust, but the break lines need to be replaced.

What I need to know is what should I be looking for? Obvious rust spots in the frame, matching vin number, floor pans, trunk?
I want a checklist to make sure I'm not making a bad purchase. They Are asking $2500.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
No rust? I see it in every picture. And what you can't see can RUIN it. Rust can and does happen EVERYWHERE in Mustangs. Yes, look at frame rails, floor pans and toe boards (including under carpet and seats inside), trunk floor and drop-offs, inside quarters, wheel wells, the cowl under the dash, corners of front and rear windshield, inside bottom of door corners, behind the wheel wells at the bottom of front fenders, under hood and trunk corners...you get the idea. It hides EVERYWHERE. Standard steel brake lines are fine, stainless is my choice. A dual-chamber master cylinder is highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I'll say this, for only $2,500 (or less) you almost can't go wrong. Would really like to see the undersides just to start with. Unibody rust corrosion is the main enemy.
Oh, yes. Welcome to VMF!

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
I'd BREAK down and buy some new BRAKE lines!

Just be aware that a $2500 car will still cost $20,000 or more to turn it into something to be proud of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd BREAK down and buy some new BRAKE lines!

Just be aware that a $2500 car will still cost $20,000 or more to turn it into something to be proud of.
I'm not too worried about making it into something beautiful. Just want to get some experience working on it. Even if its a beater I'd fix it up enough to look decent. But hey if things line up well I'd make it really nice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll say this, for only $2,500 (or less) you almost can't go wrong. Would really like to see the undersides just to start with. Unibody rust corrosion is the main enemy.
Oh, yes. Welcome to VMF!
Thats what I am thinking. I feel like its a good car to start off with and become familiar with. Down the line I want to be able to restore my own cars so I figured Id start with something that is more of a beater.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No rust? I see it in every picture. And what you can't see can RUIN it. Rust can and does happen EVERYWHERE in Mustangs. Yes, look at frame rails, floor pans and toe boards (including under carpet and seats inside), trunk floor and drop-offs, inside quarters, wheel wells, the cowl under the dash, corners of front and rear windshield, inside bottom of door corners, behind the wheel wells at the bottom of front fenders, under hood and trunk corners...you get the idea. It hides EVERYWHERE. Standard steel break lines are fine, stainless is my choice. A dual-chamber master cylinder is highly recommended.
Gotcha, looks like I need to look everywhere pretty much haha.

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
As previously stated, rust in the unibody structure (cowl, frame rails, rockers) of the car is fatal. The floor pans can be replaced fairly easily if they are rusted as long as the structure they are welded to is solid. And the surface rust on the body can be handled.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I generally agree with you, but I really disagree with this statement.
You can be proud of any condition car. It may not be perfect, but hell, I would be proud to start with the car in question. Be better for me if it was a 69 though. :D
Not trying to be rude, but here you kind of sound like my dad's "that's a parts car" mentallity. He is used to having perfect cars and being around custom cars that cost in the $100K plus range as his best friend is/was a very well known custom painter/builder. He doesn't like any car I have. But he doesn't seem to get that they make me very happy as is.
Me, if it runs and drives and stops I am happy. Not content, mind you, but happy.

Russ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As previously stated, rust in the unibody structure (cowl, frame rails, rockers) of the car is fatal. The floor pans can be replaced fairly easily if they are rusted as long as the structure they are welded to is solid. And the surface rust on the body can be handled.
I'll have to look at some youtube videos to become more familiar with those areas. If you have any good videos you know of let me know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I generally agree with you, but I really disagree with this statement.
You can be proud of any condition car. It may not be perfect, but hell, I would be proud to start with the car in question. Be better for me if it was a 69 though. :D
Not trying to be rude, but here you kind of sound like my dad's "that's a parts car" mentallity. He is used to having perfect cars and being around custom cars that cost in the $100K plus range as his best friend is/was a very well known custom painter/builder. He doesn't like any car I have. But he doesn't seem to get that they make me very happy as is.
Me, if it runs and drives and stops I am happy. Not content, mind you, but happy.

Russ
My dad has a similar mentality. If it has brakes or anything like it he's not a fan. He'd rather have everything working. Which I don't blame him since he's getting older and doesn't have the time or energy to upgrade stuff.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
RE the videos on rust.
There are literally thousands of pictures on this site you can look at.
As said, rust is THE killer of Mustangs. These cars were never intended to be on the road for decades. Very cheaply made, little or no rust proofing, lots of hidden areas with no primer even. Just bare metal.
Good news is pretty much every structural piece is reproduced. If you have a mig welder and can use it you won't have a real problem. But still, getting the best car to start with is always better.

Reactions: Strazi

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I'd drive it. And work on it while I drove it. And smile about it. And cut, and weld, and prime, and paint, and beat and bang... And take my time, stay within a sensible budget, make it what I wanted. And when I was an old crusty butt I could grunt and scoff at others' projects I guess, haha!! If you want it, buy it. Have fun.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There's a good deal of rust on that car. The most common spots for rust are generally the bottom front section of the doors, the lower rear part of the fenders as well as behind the tires/wheels on the lower quarter panels. You can see much more than just minimal surface rust in those areas through the pictures you've posted. I don't see any pictures of of the interior, what kind of condition is it in? These things will start to add up very quickly which could make you have more money into the car than what it's worth. Just one of many things to think about. Also, what's your budget?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts