Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of the vintage game for a few years, but finally found a very solid 289 auto '66 Signalflare red 'vert and picked it up today. - Considering its age, the car drives very well, smooth on the highway at 70 miles an hour for over 30 miles. - There are fewer squeeks and rattles than I expected (almost none). - I want a bigger engine. - I'll bet there were alot more rear enders back in those days. The brakes are new but poor. - The only way to find an original rust free car in Michigan is to buy one that was shipped here from somewhere else. - EVERYBODY loves old Mustangs. I had the car to the bank, the grocery store, lunch, gas station and around my neighborhood. I got thumbs up, grins and kind words from plenty of strangers of all ages. - I want a bigger engine. - Stranger: "They didn't use Grabber Orange until the 70's, did they?"....Me: "It's called SignalFlare Red and it's an original 66 color." - The steering is not at all vague like I expected. - I will likely spend more restoring the car than I did buying it. - I'm in the Woodward Dream Cruise. - I want a bigger engine. I was thinking of adding halogen headlights but to my surprise, the PO already did it. Electrical gremlins... one headlight is brighter than the other, the reverse lights and the heater fan do not work, when I turn on the bright lights, the left turn signal indicator on the dash comes on but the bright light indicator does not. - I want a bigger engine.

jim

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Wow! Your mind was really racing! I haven't driven my 65 coupe, ever, yet. One day....

Congrats on the purchase. Now pull the old engine out, replace the front end with a Heidt IFS set-up which replaces your old shock towers to make room for the 4.6 4-valve modular with a supercharger!!!! Just a thought...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I want a bigger engine.

Get a 302...it's bigger...*G*

If you want everything quiet and rattle-free, retain a stock-type muffler and make sure the exhaust tips clear the rear valence....trust me *G*

Enjoy your new ride....sounds like a beaut!...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Big Engine! http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn71.JPG

351C in a '65 coup.

I agree that a 302 with some speed parts will work. A 289 with
some speed parts will work. Give the motor you have a
chance and it may suprise you.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
You can pull 425 out of a 331 too... Avoid the 347 if you can. You will not regret it.

Unless, of course, you don't want the engine to last a long time, in which case the 347 is a great way to make gobs of HP in a small package.

Oh... welcome back to the fold. We missed you ;)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Sounds like a great car. Have you thought any about a bigger engine for it?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Ahhh, a true enthusiast! Steel and V8 engines are intoxicating, no?

You don't need a biggger one. You could build one like mine and hear all the wannabes trying to throw their pistons through the hood trying to keep up with you. :: Pretty soon you'll be thinking a racetrack is the only place you'll truly be able to open it up all the way. :)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I say roller cam 302 stroked to 331. Aluminum heads, vicor junior intake, road demon carb... Headers, ya know. ::

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Are you just biasedbecause of your old engine, or is this based on good info? I remember from my old 347 thread, i think you said something about the pistons getting angled at the botom of the cylinder?
I'm just wondering because i love the sound of "347" and it seems like so many people are happy with theirs?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Kent is just sore because of his "blown" 347 =)

MYTOYS (mark) has had his supercharged 347 for a while and it's been run HARD with no problems thus yet! *knockin on wood*

·
Registered
311 Posts
What, no 351W offerings yet???

Well, here's my $0.02, drop in the torque monster. :: All will fit fine with some super comp headers. And if you still want more, stroke it!

Remember, no replacement for displacement.
::

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
SO, HOWS THE ENGINE IS IT POWERFUL ENOUGHFOR YA, i WOULD GET A BIGGER ONE, IF IT WERE MINE, JUST A THOUGHT!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Jim, Congratulations on the Car! It sounds real nice. Nick and I have been keeping an eye open for you also, but this is michigan :: Can you come to our 1st Annual Great Lakes BBQ! Let us know if you can make it. Check the Great Lakes Forum for the information. Hope to see you there! Dawn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts