Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me. I have a little inline 6, I thought about using the 10 series, 3 of them -- one to act as an H-pipe.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Wow...I didn't expect it to sound that good! I thought you'd have to do the split header to get a good sound out of it. Great job.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Sounds good, idle speed seems a bit on the high side.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,303 Posts
I had a Scott Drake header put on my wife's 65 I6 200 Vert. It's dual out header. They also make a single flange header, I wanted the shop that did the pipes to put an H pipe after the header but they didn't and also mount a transverse mounted muffler with two pipe in two pipes out, but they put two mufflers. I was overseas at the time and that word didn't get passed to the shop. People ask me if I have a 289 all the time. It sounds good, Sounds similar to the Mustang in the video.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 65 straight 6 also. I did the headers, dual Magnaflow and a 2 barrel Weber carb. While it is not fast, it is able to merge into traffic and hold highway speeds, with also getting better mpg!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for your video. I just picked up a 66 convertible 6 cylinder and I am contemplating putting a header on along with dual exhaust. After watching your video and listening to your car it closed the deal for me as I was concerned about the way the car may sound. But now I'm taking mine to the exhaust shop

Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,303 Posts
Thanks for your video too. I think I6 200s should be left as I6 200s. They're fun to drive, get great gas mileage. My wife's 65 I6 200 Vert, driver, gets more attention than my fully restored 64.5 D Code Coupe. The Vert has a 50 foot paint job, mine is almost perfect.

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
I have seen and heard the results of using twin headers, an H pipe, and stock GT dual exhaust. Sounds like a V8.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Sleeton, I highly recommend using Flanagan’s exhaust shop in Corpus Christi, since that is your hometown. That is who did my sons exhaust for his split header/dual exhaust. It was not cheap, but excellent old school work. He even made some custom “dual” tips to fit In the tiny cutout for the dual exhaust rear valance. Good work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts